123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1.25Ghz mini against 1.6ghz G5 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikerigel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: 1.25Ghz mini against 1.6ghz G5 ? Reply with quote

I've been using my mini for almost 8 months now but i want something faster. Since i'm on a tight budget, i was looking at getting an "old" powermac G5 1.6ghz. They're pretty fair in price now.
But i was wondering how much of a performance i'm gonna see. 1.6ghz isn't that far from 1.25ghz. Now, I know we're talking about 2 completely different processor. I guess i just need to hear some real life experience between the 2... Surprised)

Mike
kes601

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a dual processor G5 at work(one of the first models, don't recall the specs off the top of my head). Honestly, other than video encoding I don't see much difference in the speeds and the Mini that I have(1.5ghz).
TheBattler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to be hearing a lot of noise compared to the mini. Other than that it's only superiority the 1.6ghz G5 claims over the mini in terms of utility, upgrade possibilities, and generally a better computer all around. Not counting the 64 bit processor the G5 has which makes it a good acomplice to Mac OS X. Now I'm not sure where and If you can find the 1.6ghz G5 for under a $1,000 but the apple store sells refurbished 20'' 1.8ghz G5 Imacs for $1,149. Post a link to the G5 offer you found so we can compare the stats and I'm almost certain this and other Imac deals will beat it in terms of price.

1.42 ghz mini, Bluetooth/Airport, 1gb Ram, Superdrive, 80gb 7200RPM (internal)

60gb 5th gen iPod
boxcar182

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was wondering about the G5 1.6 compared to the 1.25 too. Now see I need it for video editing and music recording. Do you think i need to get the G5 or just stick with my mini and buy and external HDD (I've got 6.5 Gigs left.)
TheBattler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxcar182 wrote:
You know, I was wondering about the G5 1.6 compared to the 1.25 too. Now see I need it for video editing and music recording. Do you think i need to get the G5 or just stick with my mini and buy and external HDD (I've got 6.5 Gigs left.)

How much money do you want to spend? A 1.6ghz g5 is going for around $900. The performance increase will not be worth it unless you're going to spend around an extra $300 for RAM. If I had $900 I'd get a refurb iMac which provides way more computer for the money.

1.42 ghz mini, Bluetooth/Airport, 1gb Ram, Superdrive, 80gb 7200RPM (internal)

60gb 5th gen iPod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: