123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub [Updated Pictures]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M2inOR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub is functional when Mac is shutdown for both USB and FireWire.

Mike
We live in interesting times
------------------------------------
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

You're not the only one disliking this idea. Sure, ports on the back would make more clutter, but at least it's all in the back (not much difference in clutter with 7 wires or 13...)

I'm sort of with you guys on that one. Here is something else that has me baffled. Why are they including a smart fan in the 300/400/500GB models and not the 250GB model?

The 250GB model is fanless while larger capacity models (300/400/500GB) include a thermo-regulated smart fan for maximum reliability and the quietest operation

That seems strange.

Where did you find the info on the fan? I looked at the site and could not find it.

I'm interested in knowing if it can be controlled through software, if it is off when the drive is powered but not in use , if it has various speeds (or just on/off).

I wonder how loud it is. I guess we will have to wait until mid Feb. for reviews.
M2inOR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

The fan is a necessity on the higher capacities due to extra heat inside. We performed tests to determine heat rise with different types of drives.

The fan control is NOT user accessible.

This Mac market is great - there are solutions for people who prefer ports on the back; there are also solutions from LaCie for people who want easier access to ports from the side. There are even solutions available for people wishing a separate hub.

There is no one right solution; just like there is no one right car for everyone.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Where did you find the info on the fan? I looked at the site and could not find it.

There is a link half way down the page that goes to the press release.

http://www.lacie.com/company/news/news.htm?id=10269
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M2inOR wrote:
anthonymoody wrote:
This is sort of sad/funny given the stance... the only reason they came out with this is because the initial product didn't meet sales expectations.

They, or you, may chime in about diversifying the product line, yada yada, but I won't buy that line of argument at all.

TM

Anthony,

Not true at all. Sales are very good, and this is a natural expansion of the product line.

It just took us longer to produce a better product.

Sorry, this flies in the face of what you said when you released the drive only product. It wasn't a time to market issue (according to you) back then - it was a conscious choice about what was needed, and what choices should be made to make your offering superior. Guess not since you've now joined the parade.

TM
M2inOR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

Let me be "frank":
- we chose to go with a hubless design as our first product; we got it to market quickly, and the product has done well with customers.
- we listened to the feedback from people like you, and others, and came out with a new design that implemented the hub slightly differently from the other solutions.

Interesting to note that NewerTech also announced a product this week as their second generation - with both side and rear ports.

You are entitled to your own opinions about sales volumes; I can assure you that you are probably underestimating its success. The drive is sold worldwide by many resellers, most notably the Apple online and retail stores.

We don't break out sales for individualo product lines, but we have publicly stated that we had shipped more than 2 million products in our year ending June 2005; and we are on a run-rate to exceed that this year.

As I have said, the market is big; and there is room for a lot of product variation. The customer determines success or any product.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see a picture of those side ports? (are they located at the same place as the new model of NewerTech's drive+hub?)
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
M2inOR wrote:
anthonymoody wrote:
This is sort of sad/funny given the stance... the only reason they came out with this is because the initial product didn't meet sales expectations.

They, or you, may chime in about diversifying the product line, yada yada, but I won't buy that line of argument at all.

TM

Anthony,

Not true at all. Sales are very good, and this is a natural expansion of the product line.

It just took us longer to produce a better product.

Sorry, this flies in the face of what you said when you released the drive only product. It wasn't a time to market issue (according to you) back then - it was a conscious choice about what was needed, and what choices should be made to make your offering superior. Guess not since you've now joined the parade.

TM

Wow, Anthony, give the guy from LaCie a break.. He obviously has pride in both the company and the products, and they DID give Mini users what they were asking for.

Not event sure I will buy the LaCie enclosure, but I definitely respect the fact that he is contributing to these boards and obviously listening to what is being asked for, and providing feedback and information..

Wish more vendors had their employees listening to the consumer...
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Can we see a picture of those side ports? (are they located at the same place as the new model of NewerTech's drive+hub?)

I just posted four pictures of the LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub in the gallery.

http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4
scoop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Lacie Mini HD/Hub vs. Newertech Ministack v2 Reply with quote

I'm looking for a quiet/stable/fast/stylish new external/backup drive to replace my noisy/flaky/ugly old 60GB QueM3 Firewire drive. I don't have a Mini, but I think one of the Mini companion drives (a la Lacie Mini HD/Hub or Newertech Ministack v2) would suit my purposes -- and look nice with my iMac G5 (iSight).

I'm looking at the 300GB Lacie or the 250GB Ministack. I realize neither of these are shipping yet, but based on the first generation models and the specs for the new versions, maybe someone can steer me one direction or the other. Any thoughts or advice?
iPod 3G - 15GB
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lacie Mini HD/Hub vs. Newertech Ministack v2 Reply with quote

scoop wrote:
I'm looking at the 300GB Lacie or the 250GB Ministack. I realize neither of these are shipping yet, but based on the first generation models and the specs for the new versions, maybe someone can steer me one direction or the other. Any thoughts or advice?

I have the original miniStack. I like the port configuration on the new miniStack v2 better than just about anything else out there. Hopefully they have made improvements with fan noise. I almost bought the original LaCie mini, but changed my mind at the last minute because it didn't have ports. The new LaCie mini also looks like an improvement, but I'm not into having the ports on both sides. Another nice thing about the LaCie is they are made out of metal. The miniStack is made out of plastic. I really think these are the best two devices, and you can't go wrong with either one.
scoop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, devo. anyone else care to weigh in?
iPod 3G - 15GB
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoop wrote:

I have the original miniStack and am quite pleased with it. I like that I can use it as the main drive. I eventually got used to the fan noise and would rather its case be metal than plastic. Also consider that with the miniStack you can always replace the drive yourself. I am not sure this can be done with the Lacie.

Jaime
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoop wrote:

I really like my LaCie mini! You can check them out in person at the Apple Store. They are really well made.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr*p! I bought myself a macMini and the Sweex hub does work with USB but the Firewire is not recognised! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: