123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thunderbolt, USB 3 or Firewire 800?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WCWalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Thunderbolt, USB 3 or Firewire 800? Reply with quote

Looking to purchase another Mini. Used. Debating about whether or not it is worth the cost to buy a Mini with Thunderbolt or USB 3 or Firewire 800.

I will be using this Mini with automation software for a radio station. Will be transferring .wave audio files from time to time. Some will be quite large especially if I have to move an hour long program. Might be around 800 mb file. Mostly though I will be moving songs which will average about 50 mb each and perhaps just a few week when I add new songs to the hard drive or update other small audio files like news, weather, sports reports etc.

My current 2011 Mini is going to be a production computer. It has Firewire 800 and Thunderbolt. USB 3 is not an option. However, I could use a USB 3 to move files to from the 2011 Mini and then transfer them at USB 3 speeds to the automation computer.

I know that both USB 3 and Thunderbolt are considerably faster than Firewire 800. But I am wondering if the extra cost for a Thunderbolt External Drive (around $200) is worth the cost for the somewhat limited use it will see? Or should I just go with a 2012 or later Mini with USB 3 which is cheap or Firewire 800 which will be compatible with the 2011 Mini?

Anyone have experience moving files with each format? Especially interested to learn how fast Firewire 800 is for this since it is twice as fast as USB 2 and Firewire 400. But still much slower than USB 3 and Thunderbolt.
saul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't spend any money on firewire as it is a dead end.

Try a thunderbolt to USB3 adapter -
https://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Thunderbolt-eSATA-plus-Adapter/dp/B00LOLBBQQ
WCWalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saul. Interesting gadget. Will look into this. Appears that more than just this make and model exists when I did a search for it to read some reviews.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mini with Thunderbolt or USB 3 or Firewire 800.

Well you could have all three with a 2012 mini. Best upgrade I ever made. I can of course use the USB 3 ports, one port to a USB 3.0 hubs for my peripherals, and another dedicated 3.0 for my WD external time machine. and I use the FW800 for my WD studio external that has all my photo libraries (past and present) and I use the thunderbolt now for one of my monitors. I like that I have the options still for past and current outputs.

I won't sing out all the praises of the 2012 other than I was able to upgrade the RAM to 16 GB and just added a 500 GB solid state, and it is great to have all the flexibility on a mini. Very Happy

And you may still find some of the late models one that were manufactured until early-mid 2014 (just before the current fall 2014 models). I found one that still had a 12 month manufacture warranty and then I added apple care

Let us know what you decide.
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
WCWalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don. Yep, have one 2012 already. If I can buy another I will.

Turns out I may not need to worry about this since I can probably use Air Drop or file sharing between the two computers at least when I am in the studio. Production work on my main computer which creates audio files can then be easily transferred to the computer with the automation software for my radio station.

Now I am looking for a way to create a audio file on a laptop if I am 100 miles away and then transfer it to the automation computer for playback. Mailing the file is not possible and I need to figure out how to get a mp3 or small .wav file from a Mac laptop to the right file on the Mini with the automation software to be scheduled for playback while I am away from the studio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: