123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Operating System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dweeb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Help with Operating System Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am technically challenged when it comes to Macs. I have a Mac mini 2.4G Intel Core 2 Duo with 8Gb of Memory running 10.6.8. Everything works fine. The mini is used for recording music. I tried to install additional software yesterday and I was told that I needed at least version 10.7. This is where I need help.

My Mac qualifies for Captain but I don't want to turn my mini into a boat anchor. I would like to update my Mac to the latest version where it will continue to run smoothly. This is the challenge that I am faced with but I do not know enough about the different version of operating system to make an educated decision.

Can someone help me with this question ?

Thank you.
saul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 8 gig of RAM you can run El Capitain just fine. You just need to review what applications you use and check that they are compatible and/or have upgraded versions that you can get.

Also make sure that you have free disk space.

Swap the hard drive for an SSD and you will get a performance boost which should keep you going for another few years.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you want to keep your snow leopard for running power pc apps there is a way to do that without losing anything.

Just make sure your hard drive is large enough.

Backup your software and music and photo's and everything else you may need.

once you have done that if the hard drive is two small upgrade it to a larger drive then once you boot mac os x installer for snow leopard all you have to do is go into utilities and select disk utility and then format the hard drive with two partitions so you can keep your older snow and move up to the new o.s on the other partition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: