123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boehmb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Buying advice Reply with quote

I intend to replace my 2006 Core2Duo 1.83 mini. If I am just using it for web, e-mail, music and photos (no heavy editing). Will the basic Mini (1.4 Ghz Core i5, 4GB ram) work fine? I intend to use my Dell 24" 1080p monitor. Thanks!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the current bottom of the line 2014 model should meet your needs.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your current needs and use, I would agree with Fox that the newer 2014 model would be fine. If you were happy, all this time, with your 2006, then the 2014 will definitely be an upgrade.

However, ....there is always a however ........, whatever configuration you order, is the configuration you will keep, since the 2014 has fixed Ram and the hard drive upgrade replacement is based on your expertise to do so.

In my case, I knew that I would eventually upgrade RAM and add a second HD SSD, when I had more money. So I bought a late model 2012 (that is still under warranty-build was 2104). It suits my needs and performance. Also, I liked the idea that in the 2012 I would still have a FW800, along with USB 3.0 and thunderbolt. My only heavy use of this mac is really picture editing and some music stuff, and I liked the idea of still having connectivity of FW with my older external storage units (which FW is at least a much faster than the USB 2.0 alternative).

So just be sure to order the configuration you can live with. The plus side of the newest 2014 model is the newer Haswell processor and graphics, and other points mentioned in most online reviews.

Keep us updated on what you finally decide. User knowledge and reviews and insights, help all of us here at the forum.
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
boehmb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice. Thank you!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might consider upping the RAM to 8GB for more future proofing though. Can't do it later as it's soldered in the board.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Rockysv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about doing something like this --My mini is getting glitchy--can i take this off line --move everything to a new one --wipe my Mini clean --and just use it to keep my music on --
boehmb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockysv wrote:
I was thinking about doing something like this --My mini is getting glitchy--can i take this off line --move everything to a new one --wipe my Mini clean --and just use it to keep my music on --

I intend to do this shortly...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: