123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting rid of Fusion drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolphran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Getting rid of Fusion drive Reply with quote

I have a late 2012 MacMini that I use almost exclusively with Windows (now Windows 10). Unfortunately this Mini has a fusion drive which does me absolutely no good because Bootcamp only installs to the slow conventional disk. I also use this in a portable music rig, so I want the physical robustness of an SSD-only system.

SO, I want to replace the conventional part of the fusion drive with an SSD. I would ideally like to have OSX use the remaining SSD part of the fusion drive(128GB) exclusively, and have Windows get exclusive use of the newly added (1TB) SSD. Would like to have have Windows UEFI boot to the new SSD.

Does this sound doable to folks here? I'm looking for any and all advice on the best way to proceed. Here's what I think I need to do:

1) Split the Fusion drive as shown here http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=24793003

2) Instead of then putting a bootcamp partition back, attempt to make the spinny HD a separate UEFI bootable disk for Windows (any good links on doing this?)

3) Remove the spinny HD from the Mini.

4) Clone the spinny disk to the new SSD (externally using Windows and ESATA docking stations for the two drives)

5) Install the SSD in the Mini

6) Pray everything works

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: