123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini doesn't communicate with monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Mac mini doesn't communicate with monitor Reply with quote

My Mac mini quit communicating with my monitor. Connecting a different computer to the monitor shows the monitor is fine. I used the same HDMI cable.

Mac mini is a 2012 vintage.

Any thoughts?
zedtvl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac mini doesn't communicate with monitor Reply with quote

Richard A wrote:
My Mac mini quit communicating with my monitor. Connecting a different computer to the monitor shows the monitor is fine. I used the same HDMI cable.

Mac mini is a 2012 vintage.

Any thoughts?

Some new monitors have problems with HDMI some others like some Dell with the display port maybe, like I did getting a mini 1.2 display to display will resolve your problem. Good luck.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn on the monitor first then the computer and see if it works if it does its hdmi lag
zedtvl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
turn on the monitor first then the computer and see if it works if it does its hdmi lag

I have a Dell 2408wfp for few years now. For about 3 months it started to have a yellow and a green line mostly when my mini was coming out sleep.
I decided to use the display port instead of the HDMI, the problem went almost away, the lines come up once in a while but not so often which make me think that even if the monitor start to show some signs of old age it might have something to do with the connection.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommend the display port on any monitor hdmi is still un predictable
zedtvl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
i recommend the display port on any monitor hdmi is still un predictable

You are right, I use it for several weeks now, big improvements...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why i use the display port its not picky and will pickup any monitor.

Where hdmi wants to jump to 1080p and if your computer can't handle it it becomes a unstable mess.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Thats why i use the display port its not picky and will pickup any monitor.

Where hdmi wants to jump to 1080p and if your computer can't handle it it becomes a unstable mess.

I did not know that and won't use the HDMI anymore, thanks for the tip.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem its strange that if hdmi is suppose to be so great then why doesn't it work its blurry or makes text funny on screen not working wouldn't you say.
MJL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not here very often. However I've had a Dell U2913Wm, U2412H, U2713H and am preently on a U2515H.

For a while I userd mini-display port to displayport happily but arfter upgrading to Yosemite I started to have issues that the screen would blank out or stayed blank when booting.

However replacing it with a mini-display to HDMI cable no longer blanking out. Unfortunately under OS X resolution suffers with HDMI whereas it works fine udner Windows (which I use 98% of the time - I only use OS X to make a partition image with Winclone of the Windows partition). I've seen somewhere (and used it in the past) some instructions on changing the resolution.

A HDMI to HDMI cable does not work reliably (base model mac mini 2012 and 2.8 Ghz model 2014, similar issues) and the mini-display cable to HDMI was the only one to work reliably on all three monitors. I have been very impressed with the U2515H monitor, it has become my favourite of all of the Dell monitors that I've used. Price is reasonable too.

I also have presently a Samsung monitor and initially used a mini-display to display port cable and same problem happened (blank screen when booting or suddenly going blank while using and unable to get out of the blank screen). Changing the connection to HMDI => DVI solved the problem and also mini-displayport to DVI works fine (using this presently).

I have got the impression that the mini-displayport to displayport connection is not working reliably, on the Mac mini 2012 this started to appear after last year's EFI update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: