123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iMac with Intel Processor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diulei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
I have the same problem I have a 20" Wide Dell already, with a mini, so an Imac has never been an option, I kinda wish Mac would abandon or at least offer an alternative that's not an all in one unit

Me too. I wish Apple would bring back the "Cube" in some sorts, a go-between with more than a Mini and less than a PowerMac priced around $999.
subaruwrx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me why Apple wants to charge people the same amount of money for the PowerPC iMacs as they do the intel iMacs?

if you can get more power for the same money isn't that your smart option. I don't know anyone would pay the same and get less performance???

They have to lower the price on the old PPC iMacs.

Or then again I bet they won't...Rolling Eyes

Matthew
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subaruwrx wrote:
Tell me why Apple wants to charge people the same amount of money for the PowerPC iMacs as they do the intel iMacs?

if you can get more power for the same money isn't that your smart option. I don't know anyone would pay the same and get less performance???

Matthew

That's one strange thing about Apple. Everyone figures they should lover their prices, yet they still do a great job selling product. Go figure.

They probably will drop the prices on the old models, but not as much as we'd like.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subaruwrx wrote:

Matthew

I wonder if Apple's thinking here is that some users will not be as open to jumping to Intel and that they may sell the rest of their PPC systems fairly quickly.

Personally, I think this is a bad move by Apple since it sends a mixed message. If the Intel chips are so superior to the PPC chips, then clearly Apple should sell the PPC systems at a discount since it is an inferior product.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should lower the price of the G5 iMac and the 15 inch PowerBook. Even if it's just by a $100 or so for the iMac, maybe $200-300 on the PowerBook.

I did read a interesting fact that goes with the PowerMacs.
Taken from this website, http://appleintelfaq.com/#18

Quote:

What about 64-bit computing?

Apple has not forgotten about 64-bit computing, or x86-64 (EM64T). However, Apple is trying to make the initial phase of the transition as simple as possible. 64-bit is a requirement for systems utilizing more than 4GB of RAM, which will be a necessity for some applications in the future, and is currently possible on today's Apple systems; Apple knows 64-bit capability is a requirement for many customers, particularly in professional, server, and enterprise environments. The next generations of all of Intel processors will be 64-bit.

So I take it as, that's the reason why the PowerMacs weren't the first with Intel inside?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
So I take it as, that's the reason why the PowerMacs weren't the first with Intel inside?

Apple is probably waiting for the Conroe chip for the PowerMacs. I don't think 64-bit computing had anything to do with it at this point. I really wonder how the product line is going to look later this summer. It should be fun to watch it play out.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

Apple is probably waiting for the Conroe chip for the PowerMacs. I don't think 64-bit computing had anything to do with it at this point. I really wonder how the product line is going to look later this summer. It should be fun to watch it play out.

In addition, they need to make sure that high-end professional apps (Apple's own, Photoshop, etc. ) are Intel native and that's going to take time. I don't think Adobe has even announced a timetable for conversion yet, though Apple's pro apps are native in March.

Smile

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: