123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Late 2012 Ram upgrade issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneliner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Mac Mini Late 2012 Ram upgrade issues Reply with quote

Everyone please be careful when you select Ram for your late 2012 Mac Mini upgrade.
I researched, read other's reviews, and picked 16 GB of the correct Crucial memory to install into mine. I saw where others had successfully installed the Crucial with no issues.
Lo and behold, my memory arrived and it did NOT work in my Mac Mini. Kept getting the memory beeps. I had to install the old Ram back in and return the Crucial Ram.
I am hoping the modules I received were just defective, and that the replacement ones will work. And, the memory went up $20 in price.
I will let everyone know how it goes. Just a word of caution, more later.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity. Crucial are very good at replacing/refunding non-working RAM I believe, IF their RAM is specified as being compatible - i.e. if you used their own online RAM-finder utility or website to select the correct parts.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened also to me with Crucial on a white Macbook. Since then I am using some other brand...
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently ordered a Guaranteed compatible Crucial ram upgrade for my 2010 Mini along with an SSD. The SSD worked great but the memory bombed out and all I got was the single beep on start up. I re-installed my old ram and it worked fine. Back to the crucial and all I got was beeps. I tried it multiple times but in the end I had to return the ram to Crucial for a refund.

I had no issues with Crucial, their support was good and they also provided a free post return and then refunded my money within a few days.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G - iPad Air 2 64GB
8TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 11TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Late 2012 Ram upgrade issues Reply with quote

oneliner wrote:
Everyone please be careful when you select Ram for your late 2012 Mac Mini upgrade.
I researched, read other's reviews, and picked 16 GB of the correct Crucial memory to install into mine. I saw where others had successfully installed the Crucial with no issues.
Lo and behold, my memory arrived and it did NOT work in my Mac Mini. Kept getting the memory beeps. I had to install the old Ram back in and return the Crucial Ram.
I am hoping the modules I received were just defective, and that the replacement ones will work. And, the memory went up $20 in price.
I will let everyone know how it goes. Just a word of caution, more later.
I purchased Crucial 8 gigs over 2 years ago and never had a problem at all.
oneliner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all your help and follow up. I wanted to give you an update. Turns out my Late 2012 had a bad logic board and Bank 0 was defective. I took it to the Apple Store under warranty and had it replaced. They also replaced my hard drive, since it had bad sectors. I had ordered another 16 GB of RAM from Crucial, and the Tech from Apple installed it and it worked GREAT!. So, success with my Crucial Ram upgrade. Seems like I have a brand new Mac Mini now!

Jim Gleason
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 Dual i5
16 GB Crucial Ram
500 GB SATA hard drive
DellApple

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear it was not related to the memory. Crucial has the best memory out there in my opinion.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Turns out my Late 2012 had a bad logic board and Bank 0 was defective. I took it to the Apple Store under warranty and had it replaced. They also replaced my hard drive, since it had bad sectors.

Excellent reason for warranty and the tagging on two years of AppleCare. You just never know.

My 2012 had a 2014 build date, and when the original warranty ends in August 2015, I will be on AppleCare.

Glad yours is up and running again with a new board and new HD. Nice.
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: