123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014 New Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Most of the people on dedicated forums are not the basic users and want more from whatever they have, be it cars or computers.

Therefore those people in the forums will be greatly disappointed by the new minis.

I wonder how i7 minis will do on eBay?

SC

I totally agree, these days here in New Zealand one does not see any Mac mini displayed in any of the stores so most are not even aware that a desktop exists. I've had the argument before but if you check out the manufacturers temperature specifications for the CMOS battery, memory or SSD then they all seem to top oput at approx 65 C ~ 70 C. Running a Mac mini at a temperature exceeding that will shorten its lifespan.

I am running windows for a business application and for me reliability tops everything else.

Hence me having two Mac mini's, one is the previous model and one is the most recent model. Previous model is the backup and gets seldom used. I need to concentrate on my activities and silence is key. I also liked to travel, alas due to a compromised immune system no longer able to be in a crowd, hence no travel in a plane, ship, train or bus allowed. After ~ 20 laptops and having a number of them damaged in airplane's overhead locker's I started to appreciate the little Mac mini - it is almost indestructable. And having two disks inside makes that I have a build-in backup: boot in OS X and restore windows. It is a niche application and the Mac mini is perfect for it. The new Mac Pro is just too large for my liking - even when I travel by car to the other part of the country visiting friends and relatives. Having said this these days a laptop could do the work and I can see those days coming back since the desktop market is shrinking and I can see small computers becomes either not powerfull enough or too loud. And tinkering myself creating a fanless computer is not an option either - my hands and eyes are no longer up to the task.

I commiserate with those who used the quad as a cheap alternative to the Mac Pro, they have been hurt bad. Hopefully for that small group a redesigned Mac mini may have a quad core again.

edit: I don't know about eBay but here in New Zealand there has been not much change, if any. Some retailers still have a 2012 in stock and offer them at a discount.

I've just ordered the 2.8 Ghz with 256Gb SSD. In my work the sustained memory throughput is the bottleneck and for me the 2.8 Gb hits the "sweet spot".
Squid3660

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the 2014 Mac Mini, what are the upgrade options for the internal drive? Is it possible to run two internal drives (either HDD or SSD) like in previous models? Are you just stuck with what they give you?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading is potentially more challenging but not impossible. You can have 2 drives, one PCI SSD and one SATA SSD/HDD. Ebay seems to be the way to go for the PCI SSD and more importantly the connector. There might be some 3rd party options that show up, but still not available at this point. The SATA drive, although I haven't taken one apart looks relatively similar in location/removal as previous models.
macfandave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I got quite a good deal on a new 2.3 Ghz quad core 2012 mac mini from jigsaw24 here in the UK last December

I've put 16B of RAM in, this makes a great difference certainly for things like virtual pc software like Parallels or VMware Fusion

Just to ask about these SSD drives does it matter of they are sata 2 or 3 ?

Which does anyone recommend the best and fastest make ? There seem to be so much variation in speeds or are they all very similar in real use ?

When can we expect to see a 2TB one also ?

Also how would performance coimpare to one using a USB 3 caddyversus one interbally ?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2012 mini has SATA III capability, so if you buy an SSD, you should buy a SATA III model; it will run faster. Most that you can buy now are SATA III anyway. An SSD running internally will be much faster in reading and writing data than one connected to a USB 3 port.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez... thanks for the info on upgradeability. I really wasn't sure what the options were, and you helped a lot. Usually OWC is the first to come out with internal drive upgrade options for the Macs, but they have nothing listed yet for the 2014 Mini model, which made me think there was no way to upgrade. I'll have to do some research on PCI SSD... I wonder what the connectors are like. Are these the ones that look like bare circuit cards, sort of like what the Macbook Air SSD is like?

To add to this discussion about SATA and the like, I found this wikipedia article to be pretty good at explaining the various SATA speeds, and at the bottom of that page, there is a handy table that compares SATA to other buses, like USB 3.

It will be really interesting when SATA 3.2 and USB 3.1 hit the market. Just think in 10 years from now, we will be laughing at how slow SATA III was back in the day compared to the tech we will have then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid3660 wrote:
ez... thanks for the info on upgradeability. I really wasn't sure what the options were, and you helped a lot. Usually OWC is the first to come out with internal drive upgrade options for the Macs, but they have nothing listed yet for the 2014 Mini model, which made me think there was no way to upgrade. I'll have to do some research on PCI SSD... I wonder what the connectors are like. Are these the ones that look like bare circuit cards, sort of like what the Macbook Air SSD is like?

To add to this discussion about SATA and the like, I found this wikipedia article to be pretty good at explaining the various SATA speeds, and at the bottom of that page, there is a handy table that compares SATA to other buses, like USB 3.

It will be really interesting when SATA 3.2 and USB 3.1 hit the market. Just think in 10 years from now, we will be laughing at how slow SATA III was back in the day compared to the tech we will have then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Here is a thread at another site on the connector. It took quite a bit of time before OWC had an upgrade to the PCI-SSD for the 2013 MacPro. Could be a while, but it will likely happen one way or the other
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: