123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendation for backup hard drive & software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Recommendation for backup hard drive & software Reply with quote

I just bought a new Mac Mini Desktop (newest ver.) & am looking for a recommendation for an external HD (>= 500GB) for backup & whether TimeMachine is adequate or if there's an advantage to using something like SuperDuper! to manage my backups. Thanks! Smile
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for backup hard drive & software Reply with quote

hayne wrote:
I just bought a new Mac Mini Desktop (newest ver.) & am looking for a recommendation for an external HD (>= 500GB) for backup & whether TimeMachine is adequate or if there's an advantage to using something like SuperDuper! to manage my backups. Thanks! Smile
Get a Western Digital HD good quality control with this company.
papercut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with Seagate drives -- have two of the 3TB drives and they work like a charm. Also had good luck with Fantom drives. I'm sure there are good and bad stories about nearly every manufacturer.

As for backups, I view Time Machine and SuperDuper as two different sorts of backups (I'm guessing others may disagree here, too).

Time Machine is simple, mindless, and offers a great way for me to recover or restore a file or a couple of files from a prior date. I highly recommend it.

SuperDuper (or CarbonCopyCloner) makes a bootable backup of your current hard drive. My mini died a few months ago and I simply plugged my SuperDuper backup drive into my MacBook Pro and booted from the external HD. I was working again without skipping a beat.

The downside to SD or CCC is that you need to remember to do the backups.

So my advice is to use both. You can never have too many backups.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papercut wrote:

The downside to SD or CCC is that you need to remember to do the backups.

So my advice is to use both. You can never have too many backups.

Keep in mind that both CCC and SD allow for auto-scheduling just so you do not have to remember...
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a external case and put in your own HD. I personally only use WD drives after having to many Seagate drives got belly up on me. I prefer the cases from OWC, my fav is the Guardian MAXimus Enclosure, I buy the blank one without drives and buy two of my own. It's a RAID box. The Mercury Elite Pro boxes are good too, if you don't want a RAID setup.

For software, Time Machine does the trick for me.
papercut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:

Keep in mind that both CCC and SD allow for auto-scheduling just so you do not have to remember...

I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification. I don't use auto-scheduling as I don't have my backup drives constantly connected to my Mac, though I do keep my TimeMachine drive connected, but not always powered on.

For SuperDuper, I use two different drives for backups and rotate one offsite from time to time. I think it's a great program and well-worth paying the price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: