123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's waiting for Haswell Mac minis?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornedfrog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully soon now - it's overdue.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: MM Reply with quote

hornedfrog wrote:
Hopefully soon now - it's overdue.
I am anxiously awaiting it also.
MrMini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh crapp I just upgraded to a new MM...
Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how much difference it will make if Apple updates the Mini with the Haswell chip. I'm wanting to get a new mini, currently have a late 2009 model, and don't want to wait much longer.

Will the Haswell chip make that much difference in performance?
wolfcoyote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
I'm wondering how much difference it will make if Apple updates the Mini with the Haswell chip. I'm wanting to get a new mini, currently have a late 2009 model, and don't want to wait much longer.

Will the Haswell chip make that much difference in performance?

I guess it depends on the user. The minute I heard about Haswell and the integration of Iris Pro I was bouncing off the walls (who wouldn't, at possibly having up to 1.2GBs of VRAM?), but in typing this response, the realities have finally hit me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since every part of the mini uses laptop-class parts (including the CPU), the upcoming Haswell minis w/ i5s and i7s will include Intel HD4200-5000s (for lower heat, and I'll be surprised if they DO offer Iris Pro 5100s at the very most in the high-end mini). Supposedly the CPU will grant between 6-23% performance increases, with GPU performance boosted 20%.

I'm on the Early 2009 mini model myself (using it as I type this), and as a Steam gamer I NEED a GPU performance increase (the 256MB VRAM limit has been a major pain for a while now, even with the maxed-out RAM). I'd say for us (those who were rocking with 2009 machines), we could wait for the 2014 machines (which will come with small increases as stated above), or purchase 2012 machines now. The 2012 minis have good enough speeds and while the GPU is limiting, just max out the RAM and add a SSD and they could rock harder than the upcoming 2014 machines.

Mad

iPad mini "R" (Retina Display), 32GB wi-fi only model
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am waiting now too. My 2009 Mac mini just died over the weekend. Sad

I hope they have something bigger in store for the next update since it's lagging behind the Haswell roadmap.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haswell is fine, but we really need TB 2 for 4K support. Which leapfrogs the other Macs no with Haswell. And makes total sense with the Mac mini being a desktop computer. I mean, this is the year of 4K displays. Just look what is coming out of CES.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
Haswell is fine, but we really need TB 2 for 4K support. Which leapfrogs the other Macs no with Haswell. And makes total sense with the Mac mini being a desktop computer. I mean, this is the year of 4K displays. Just look what is coming out of CES.

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

There were some surprise announcements at CES underneath the 1000 price tag. Like from Lenovo ($799), Dell ($699), and Asus ($799). Even though the one from Dell only runs at 30hz and uses a TN panel. I also hope Apple gets one out to replace the current Thunderbolt display. I kinda doubt they will match those price points though. They probably won't even match the price of the current Thunderbolt display.
sje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having bought a new 2.3 GHz quad core Mac Mini yesterday, I'm not waiting. I needed a small box with a decent CPU performance/price ratio, and given that metric the new Mac Pro just doesn't work for me. I don't do gaming, so I can live with the current Mac Mini's less than stellar graphics performance. For a monitor, I'm satisfied with my 24" US$200 Vizio 1080p HDTV driven by an HDMI connection.

The next Mac Mini, whenever it might arrive, will likely not be much different compared with the current model. There could be some improvement with the vampire video along with a second Thunderbolt port, but not much else.

Some things could disappear, like the FireWire port which I use occasionally. It's conceivable that the line will no longer have a disk option, having only solid state drives instead.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those waiting for the next Mini, if the next version isn't what you hoped for would you switch to a NUC running some form of GNU/Linux? I ask this because the NUCs can be customized to suit exactly what you want, The only things you can't get are Thunderbolt 2 and OS X Mavericks. With some work I'm sure you could get Mavericks.

A NUC with lots of goodies isn't cheap in any sense of the word. One thing about them is they can be configured to run low end processors too. Not everybody needs a quad core i7 and a 256 GB SSD. An i5 with 8 GB RAM at < $500 would be overkill for most of my needs.

In 2008 I was playing the waiting game for the Mini. My XP machine died before the next Mini came out so I had to get something and chose a Mac Book. Again I'm at that point but this time I have two working machines instead of just one. So I can wait if one dies on me. I'm going to wait until... perhaps August to see if the new Mini will suit me.

Since I'm not tied into iTunes with lots of music files on an iPod or iPhone I don't feel tied to OS X. I'm OK with switching to GNU/Linux or even Chrome OS. I have only one legacy program that won't work on GNU/Linux so the Mac Book will be kept. I would never buy another Windoz OS.

Is OS X the only thing that is keeping you with Apple?

Last edited by Smallwheels on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bigbadbugga

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
For those waiting for the next Mini, if the next version isn't what you hoped for would you switch to a NUC running some form of GNU/Linux? I ask this because the NUCs can be customized to suit exactly what you want, The only things you can't get are Thunderbolt 2 and OS X Mavericks With some work I'm sure you could get Mavericks.

Is OS X the only thing that is keeping you with Apple?

No, what keeps me with apple is the ability to plug it in and use it, not having to install loads of software manually and match hardware and find drivers etc...

With apple computers I don't need to know any of that gumf, I just use it.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigbadbugga wrote:
No, what keeps me with apple is the ability to plug it in and use it, not having to install loads of software manually and match hardware and find drivers etc...

Since Ubuntu 12.04 the only drivers I've ever had to deal with were the restricted extras package. To make using the distribution easy this package of all of the drivers needed to run the most common things was put into a bundle. Once it is loaded, Flash, fonts, Nvidia graphics cards, Intel graphics, and DVD/CD players work just as they would on other mainstream operating systems. The restricted extras package does add proprietary software that is not Open Source or part of the free software endorsed by the Free Software Foundation.

There is one downside right now. Adobe has stopped supporting Flash on GNU/Linux. They still send security updates but nothing more. Chrome is getting updates via Google so there is still no problem with Flash for browsers.

There is a specialized easy to install package for people who want to use Netflix. It just requires a fast enough processor to use an emulator to run Silverlight. I have found that adding all of these packages takes less than a half an hour.
Bigbadbugga

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Bigbadbugga wrote:

Since Ubuntu 12.04 the only drivers I've ever had to deal with were the restricted extras package. To make using the distribution easy this package of all of the drivers needed to run the most common things was put into a bundle. Once it is loaded, Flash, fonts, Nvidia graphics cards, Intel graphics, and DVD/CD players work just as they would on other mainstream operating systems. The restricted extras package does add proprietary software that is not Open Source or part of the free software endorsed by the Free Software Foundation.

There is one downside right now. Adobe has stopped supporting Flash on GNU/Linux. They still send security updates but nothing more. Chrome is getting updates via Google so there is still no problem with Flash for browsers.

There is a specialized easy to install package for people who want to use Netflix. It just requires a fast enough processor to use an emulator to run Silverlight. I have found that adding all of these packages takes less than a half an hour.

see, i don't understand 90% of your post, i thought a gnu was a sort of moose��
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNU is the name of the operating system. Linux is the name of the type of kernel.

GNU/Linux has many types. Ubuntu version 12.04 is just one of them. The latest version is 14.04. The 14 stands for the year and the 04 is the month. Ubuntu releases two per year.

The nomenclature for different versions is distributions. That has been shortened by the more familiar term, distro.

www.distrowatch.com
Bigbadbugga

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
GNU is the name of the operating system. Linux is the name of the type of kernel.

GNU/Linux has many types. Ubuntu version 12.04 is just one of them. The latest version is 14.04. The 14 stands for the year and the 04 is the month. Ubuntu releases two per year.

The nomenclature for different versions is distributions. That has been shortened by the more familiar term, distro.

www.distrowatch.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: