123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockysv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: SSD Reply with quote

If i upgrade my computer to use SSD --can the computer use some of that for RAM ?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD is storage not memory so no not really.

The computer will normally use a portion of a storage device as a swap area to speed up accessing frequently accessed files but its not being used as actual RAM

An analogy I often use is an office.

The ram is the size of your desk, i.e how many separate documents you can have open and viewable at the same time. If you have a big desk (a lot of RAM) then you can work with more files.

The Hard Drive or SSD is the size of your filing cabinet. How many documents you can store to work on later.

If you have a small desk you can only work on one document at a time. Each time you need another document you have to get up and put the current one back in the filing cabinet (hard drive) and then retrieve the new one. If you then need the original one again to look something back up, you have to put away the current one, retrieve the old one and then swap back again. This really slows you down. Accessing the filing cabinet is much slower than looking on your desk. Adding more Ram allows you to have more documents on your desk so now both documents can remain open and you work more quickly.

The swap file is like having the files you access frequently put in a temporary holding area at the front of your nearest filing cabinet so the documents are quicker to find when you need them but still not as quick as if there were already open on your desk.

SSD's as pretty quick though compared to HDD's so you will see an improvement in overall speed accessing the files, but your still limited to only having a small desk if you can't increase the ram. If you then try to open a file bigger than your desk then your going to have problems. so upping the amount of ram available should be your first upgrade option if your not already on your maximum.

Does that make sense ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil
that makes all the sense in the world --

i got started with this question when i read that SSD was the same as RAM --memory on a chip --if it is the same type of memory --why not be able to use some -- but it must have other factors --bus speed ?

but in the end - i'm going with my RAM upgrade for my 2007 Mini

one thread said that i could use a 2G in addition to the one i have in there - some people were saying that 2 x2g were a little better even though my Mini would only see 3g--is there any sense in throwing out good RAM ?

thanks again
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I had a 2007 mini, I went with the matched 2 x 2gb pair. Testing has reported that the RAM is faster that way, but with an older mini now, I don't know that I would do the same thing if I had to upgrade again. Depends on what you have to pay for these RAM modules now that they are not widely used and are therefore more expensive.
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox
my friend that is doing the work said that he found them for $20 each --that is fine--

i'm still on the fence about getting a new one -- but for what i do with it --i think the RAM would be money well spent
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly if you can get the ram cheaper great but honestly can i ask you a question does you macintosh have the intel gma chipset the reason i ask is more ram means more ram goes to the graphics card not the o.s because the gma chipset has memory sharing where it is using a percentage of the system ram as graphics card ram sounded like a great idea untill you notice it robs performance from the machine and the machine just acts the same as it did with 2 gig of ram i would recommend a SSD under one condition get a 500 gig SSD the 2007 mac mini works fast as H E double hocky sticks on a 500 gig SSD i watched one boot windows it went from loading windows to desktop in 1 1/2 versus 5 min
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macman

i really don't know what chip set it has -- though my mini only has 1G -- and i think i need 2g to up grade my OS to 10.6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: