123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockysv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Email Reply with quote

Is there any way to move Emails into folders ?
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's Apple mail you're using then yes, drag-n-drop them.
You could also use the 'Move to' drop-down menu selection.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Double post??? Reply with quote

. .
Rockysv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but my mail is through Verizon--

there must be some way to copy them and move into folders --
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the UK so not familiar with Verizon, but I just checked their help files and they only seem to offer POP3 and not IMAP, you really want IMAP if you want access to all your mails from anywhere on any device.

IMAP stores the messages on the server and replicates to all your devices at the same time. This is the modern way of doing mail.

POP3 is an older email protocol which effectively acts as a post office collecting your mail for you, it doesn't sync the mail between all your devices. POP = Post Office Protocol. When you collect the mail on one device its normally removed from the server copy, you can leave messages on the server but you are normally limited to how much data you can store on the server so can quickly run out of space. If you use multiple devices, without careful management, you can quickly get to a point where you have different mails on each device and none of them match.

If you only use one main computer then you can set your mail application on your Mac or iOS device to collect the mail and store it locally on your machine. You can then set up folders on your local copy and drag and drop the messages in there.

Here's the info for setting up on a Mac - Verizon Mail Setup

How many devices do you need to access the mail from ?

With pop3 you used to be able to specify a period between collecting off the server and deletion of the message. I used to collect the mail and tell it to delete the message off the server in 7 days. This gave me time to collect the message on the other devices before the server copy deleted. The default setting is normally to delete on collection.

Before you set up pop3 do some searching for Verizon IMAP settings and see if they offer that. Its much better to set up an IMAP system.

alternatively get a gmail or other provider account who do offer a decent service.

I have my mail on my own domain and pay to have the mail server hosted as part of my website. I don't like the idea of google being able to have access to all my messages, but gmail is a good option if your not paranoid about google.

{edit}
Here's and article on POP3 and IMAP if you want a more detailed explanation - http://www.howtogeek.com/99423/email-whats-the-difference-in-pop3-imap-and-exchange/

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil
my email must be on my computer -- because one time my internet went down -- and i still had all my emails -- i can unplug from my router and still have my emails

thanks again --i have lots of questions -- and most of this stuff is over my head -- so please bare with me
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it should be if your collecting your mail by POP3, it will be creating a local copy on your computer and then probably deleting the copy off the server.

The problem with this old method of email is you'll need to keep backups of your mail because any problems with your computer could cause you to end up loosing the lot. You also have issues keeping your mail organised across multiple devices.

IMAP is now the preferred method. The mail stays stored on the server and all your devices just sync with the server to maintain their own copy of the mails. If you buy a new computer you just enter your IMAP details and all your mail is back exactly as you left it. When you move or delete a mail on one device the change is synced to all your devices, so they all maintain the same structure. It makes things so much easier.

I read Verizon were forcing their users to use POP3 so they didn't have the storage issues to deal with. Which is pretty crappy if you ask me Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verizon is full of crappy stuff --i could go on for days about what i have gone through on the TV side --but i have had lots of problems with Direct Tv in the past --and my buddies are always going on about Comcast --so what can you do --Verizon has been stable for a few years now-

When you back up a computer -- will it make copies of the Email also?

When i was having so much trouble with Verizon --they kept telling me that they had never herd of this or that problem - that i was having --and i found a page I hate Verizon . com and there was hundreds of people with the same things i had
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: