123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any new tricks you've discovered?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Any new tricks you've discovered? Reply with quote

So I was reading this webpage and there was one of those ads to another site that would invariably be an ad for another bunch of sites, but I was tempted to check this ad as the tease title was something like "10 keyboard short cuts you never knew about" or some such.

Well the first one was one I never knew about and I've been using it like crazy.

So I would suggest for this thread, if you could explain the trick and indicate what version of OS X you know it works on.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this trick is how to take a screen cap of a particular window.

Of course a screen shot (CMD SHIFT 3) takes a pic of the whole screen, and a partial screen shot (CMD SHIFT 4) takes a pic of what you manually select. But if you do the partial screen shot, and before you make your selection, mouse over a particular window and then press the space bar, the window will color over and you'll get a screen shot of the window (with a worthless border for some reason).

Works in 10.5

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Rockysv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sc
when you take a screen shot -- where does it get saved to ?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get saved on your desktop Rockysv, if you have dropbox installed it will offer to save them within your dropbox.

I've used these screen snap shortcuts since first owning a Mac and it was one of the features that first made me think how much better owning a Mac was than a PC. On a PC you could PRINT SCREEN or ALT PRINT SCREEN to get the current app but on the Mac you could additionally use CMD SHIFT 4 to let you specify the area to snap with cross hairs.

ALT Menu's
One of my favourite ones is the ALT / OPTION key. Pressing this on the menu bar items gives an alternate menu. So for example if you press the sound icon in the menu bar you get a volume control. How ever if you hold the ALT key when you click it you get a completely alternate menu with many more features. Lots of Apple Menu's are effected by holding the ALT key. One you may to use from time to time is access to ~/Library You can get to this via the Finder and ALT clicking the GO menu to add the hidden LIBRARY to the drop down list

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
...(with a worthless border for some reason)....

The border is transparent, with a semi-transparent drop shadow, which you can JUST make out in Preview. If you drop the image on a white background in a page layout program, or post it in a forum quite often etc, you can see it better. It looks nice, but I have to agree - it's just eye candy really. Example:

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Command + 1, Command + 2, and Command + 3 in Maps to switch between the Standard, Hybrid, and Satellite views. I find myself using that one a lot these days.
svedel77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former Windows user, I find it annoying that I cant get into a folder i Finder. But with "CMD - O", that makes the trick. ENTER only makes you rename the folder, not opens it.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have discovered you can install mac os x snow leopards flash player in 10.5 because they both use safari 5.0 but it only functions on the intel version of 10.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: