123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wait for new Mac Mini or go with latest iMac?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
antz359
New Member
New Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Wait for new Mac Mini or go with latest iMac? Reply with quote

Hi
I've been given a nice amount of money from my Dad and I want to get a new Mac. So should I go with a iMac now or wait for the new Mini, are there any hints in the ether as to when a new mini is due?
Cheers
Antz
_________________
2010 MacMini 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, WD 2TB NAS
iPod 4th Gen
iPad 3rd Gen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 690
Location: The Highlands, Scotland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already got a nice display? Smile

And see here: (but it's only a rumor):
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/22/new-mac-mini-february/
_________________
Martin at HeadSpin HD now on Blu-ray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
papercut
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great question, Antz. I'm pondering the same thing myself. I need a new Mac and would prefer to get an updated mini. However, I think I'll be forced into making a choice by the end of March. At that time I'll get the current iMac if no announcement has been made about the mini.

It all depends on what you need, how long you can wait, and what you're willing to spend.

Personally, I hope the updated mini is announced in the next few days but no one outside of Apple really knows for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MacNcheese
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 38
Location: Here & Now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would never buy an iMac because I don't like the whole monitor/computer big box solution. I want them to be separate. I would go for a Mac Pro before an iMac. The Mini in it's present form is small enough to mount on the back of a monitor giving you the advantage of upgrading either or both in the future at different times as your needs evolve. Look closely at want you plan to seriously do with your computer! Not just maybe this or dreams but what are you actually going to use it for.
_________________
"You cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite."

Mini~2.3GHz i7/16GB/1.0TB/WD Cloud 2TBx2, WD My Book 2TBx2 /LaCie DVD/CD drive/Airport Extreme/Airport Express/ LaCie 324 monitor.
iPod Classic x2
iPhone 4S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2012
Posts: 584
Location: Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait for new Mac Mini or go with latest iMac? Reply with quote

antz359 wrote:
Hi
I've been given a nice amount of money from my Dad and I want to get a new Mac. So should I go with a iMac now or wait for the new Mini, are there any hints in the ether as to when a new mini is due?
Cheers
Antz
Hopefully maybe in April sometime.I would wait for the new mac mini.I mac is good but not that good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
antz359
New Member
New Member


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies Very Happy
I have to wait a bit for the money to come across from the UK. I like the idea of the PCIe SSD that the iMac has, was toying with Fusion drive but I have a SSD (256GB)in a enclosure which is a USB3 and a 2TB NAS. If I went with a new MM I'd also upgrade my monitor.

Antz
_________________
2010 MacMini 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, WD 2TB NAS
iPod 4th Gen
iPad 3rd Gen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 1117
Location: San Ramon, California

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait for the new Mac mini at this point just to see what it brings. Especially with the possibility of 4k support coming.
_________________
1.42GHz Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini (2009)
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrMini
Member
Member


Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 176
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay with the MM, too many problems with the IMac freezing..
_________________
IMac 20 " Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.