123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help to spend wisely

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andyj007

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Help to spend wisely Reply with quote

Ok that's it, I'm done with windows.
When computers first came in i embraced it, loved it, couldn't get enough of it, was completely on top of it, but over the last three years or so it's got ontop of me, to a point where it's not fun in anyway anymore.
Yes my needs have changed from, home computer, to edit and save my camera pics, to being essential to my. Architecture and construction buissiness.
Every two years i buy a new windows pc only to watch it get infected with virus after virus and become very very slow, and crashy.
I need your help to set up some kind of home system and tied to my office.
I have broadband into my house then into a router giving wi fi.
I have a cat 5 cable from the router running to my office at the bottom of my yard, where I have another wi fi thingy giving wi if into the office.
I have one windows pc in the office running auto cad, and a a1, a3, and lase printer copier, scanner. From USB leads.
In the office i use email (Firefox), internet, word and excel.
In the house, we have 4 i pads, 2kids, wife and i, wireless printing over wifi to a a4 printer.
The kids each have laptops (old ones) that they use for gaming or for homework.
Wife uses her laptop for our buissiness for contractor payments, tax reruns, vat reruns etc.
I have an email account with names.co.uk who also host my website.
My emails gets hacked frequently and bombarded with rubbish emails...
We have two htc one android phones.

I think I need to get a new windows pc to just run autocad.
And Mac mini, that gives internet web surfing, email, opens word documents and excell documents, and shares the office printers all set up in the remote office.
Get another Mac mini for the house, or mac book for the wife business work that she undertakes in the house.

Set up proper file sharing somehow.
Get her email addresses linked to the business or create folders where I can drop emails that she can access from the house mac book/ mini.
I've got into a bit of a mess when the kids got their iPads a year back or so..
Somehow I've got items on my ipad I cannot update unless I log in as my daughter, I think we did not understand how to set up two accounts, on one credit card when getting it fired up for the first time...

So anyone kind enough help me out with some suggestion ions and or guidance, would be very much appreciated..

Regards

Andy
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, and welcome here.

I am in the UK too, and have run a mixed Mac/Windows network for many years, so I might be able to answer some (note: some!) of your questions.

Certainly, in my experience of both OSes, the Macs have NO virus problems, and effectively last longer before needing replacement. I have a mini2009 and a MacPro2008 - both holding their own against much younger Windows PCs!

Certainly, they can all happily share files, routers, wired and wireless networking, printers, peripherals, servers, DNLA, media, etc., etc. You won't need to buy much "special" gear to get it all going together. However, one thing: although I believe Apple's software CAN open Office documents, you might want to consider Office:mac for seamless document exchange.

Others here will jump in with the info about the use of Apple software for this, too, I'm sure.

Ask away with specifics.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just comment regarding the AutoCAD/peecee issue.

If you don't want to spend the money on AutoCAD for OS X, I would consider setting up either BootCamp for booting a Mac into Windows, or something like Parallels where you can run Windows as an application in OS X. If neither of those situations would work out, then I would consider a dedicated Windows system for AutoCAD.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Andyj007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information given....
i decided that for the moment that the all in one iMac would suit me better.
i would have needed to buy an additional monitor, with a macbook for the house to access files..

i came back from the store with the following
imac 27"
mac book pro retina 13"
airport express
airport time capsule
apple tv
magic mouse
& usb super drive.

will keep my windows pc just for cad, but file save and move all my work documents & email over to the iMac, where it will be set up to back up to time capsule.

im not sure on the best way to file share from the iMac files to macbook, but i think i need to use cloud for this somehow...
I'm hoping that the stored and backed up files on the iMac, can be accessed and edited on the macbook, and automatically saved back to the iMac where it will be automatically backed up again t the time capsule...

ive unpacked the mac and macbook, and that was an experience... wow, even the packaging blew me away.... i haven't felt this good about a computer since i unwrapped my dragon 32 xmas present back in the 80's!

i imagine that when the mini is updated i will purchase one to rig up in the homework room for my kids... with an old pc monitor...

regards

andy
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyj007 wrote:
i came back from the store with the following
imac 27"
mac book pro retina 13"
airport express
airport time capsule
apple tv
magic mouse
& usb super drive.

Shocked

Good to see you decided to only dip your toe in whilst you waited to see how you liked the mac Wink

Welcome to the Mac, I switched in 2007 after using Windows from the beginning right back in the early 80's, but after trying out a beta of Windows Vista I knew it was time for a change. I've been running the Mac OS exclusively ever since and its been bliss compared to my windows days.

Andyj007 wrote:
im not sure on the best way to file share from the iMac files to macbook, but i think i need to use cloud for this somehow...
I'm hoping that the stored and backed up files on the iMac, can be accessed and edited on the macbook, and automatically saved back to the iMac where it will be automatically backed up again t the time capsule...

I just use the built in file sharing and it works really well. You can find this in System Preferences - Sharing. I have an iMac, Mac Mini and Macbook Pro.
For files, I access and edit a lot I use a Dropbox account which sync all the machines.

Andyj007 wrote:
ive unpacked the mac and macbook, and that was an experience... wow, even the packaging blew me away.... i haven't felt this good about a computer since i unwrapped my dragon 32 xmas present back in the 80's!

I remember the smile on my face when I got my second mac the Macbook Pro. I'd had the iMac for almost a year and was amazed how good it was. However when I opened the Macbook Pro the biggest surprise was still to come. The packaging was amazing as you say, but when I finally turned it on and went through the initial setup, I was amazed to see all my settings, bookmarks, emails, contacts, calendar were all available to me. I hadn't done anything but enter my details on the setup and with a minute of first turning on the machine it was fully setup. Very impressive to say the least Cool

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Andyj007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil , thanks for the heads up on the file sharing..
i have an dropbox acc and just loaded that onto the machines.
I'm confused, as to how best to use them.
could you explain a little more?
i assumed the only way was to drop box...
kind regards

andy
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your issue with Dropbox ?

BTW I meant Dropbox as in the cloud sharing service. but Mac's also have a folder called "Drop Box" which allows you to send a file to another networked Mac as a one way transfer, but thats something completely different and not much use really.

Andyj007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the cloud based dropbox i was referring to.
which is all good..
my mac experience is going really really well, everything just seems to connect and work first time..
my only gripe so far is using numbers for simple spreadsheets, it has the most daft print preview page print area set up ever.
from reading the internet it appears they messed upon the latest release..
other than that...
I'm finding it quite intuitve to use the OS system...
still a little out of sorts with the file view arrangements, but getting there.

thanks to all who replied for the help.

kind regards

andy
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Numbers too often, but I like some of what it does. The Print view did seem really weird at first but it grew on me. I like the way you can layout separate tables on the same print view. Much better than trying to manipulate Excel to achieve the same. I also like being able to have multiple sheets open on separate screens, it irritates me in Excel when you open another sheet and it opens int he same window especially when I'm using multiple monitors.

I've only just grabbed the latest numbers so not really had much time to play with it yet. Prior to that I was using Numbers from iWork 09 and never upgraded it until I noticed it was now FREE Cool

I the finder I tend to use the Column view 99% of the time, and usually open multiple windows when moving or copying files, I still haven't got into using the new Tab view though and always forget its their now.

BTW What was your issue with Dropbox ? I think its an amazing application and its completely changed the way I use my systems now.

Andyj007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it turns out that the latest edition of numbers is a step backwards with regard to the print view...ive done a bit of research on the web at it appears that most people feel the same.. its seems awkward to work out where the page ends and starts.. you have to keep flicking back and forwards between views.
with regard to dropbox..
i know its going to be great, its just a user set up issue at the moment..
and i don't have it integrated into my workflow or set up on my computers properly..
i need to understand it a bit better thats all..
kind regards

andy
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyj007 wrote:
it turns out that the latest edition of numbers is a step backwards with regard to the print view...ive done a bit of research on the web at it appears that most people feel the same.. its seems awkward to work out where the page ends and starts.. you have to keep flicking back and forwards between views.

I've only recently grabbed the latest version of Numbers and I don't actually have a printer so its not something I've played with yet. I did think the whole print view was weird when I first started using it in the older version so I assumed it would have got better Sad I do remember when resizing tables that it was hard to find the point where a document just fit on the page, push the column width a little to much and the whole column jumps to the next page and so does you view. Which then makes it hard to just drop back that little bit. As I no longer have a printer I tend not to print too much, but if I really need to print, I print to pdf and then save the pdf in dropbox. As all my accounts are synced the file will appear on my work PC and I would then just the pdf at work.

I'll have a play with it though and see how its changed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: