123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Does The Mac Mini Still Exist?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Why Does The Mac Mini Still Exist? Reply with quote

I like the style. I like the features. I don't like the price for the hardware received.

Apple doesn't update it often enough to keep it relevant. Is it even making a profit for Apple? Since they don't break down such numbers we can only guess that it is profitable.

Apple doesn't advertise it anymore so how can one even say the expensive Mini is an entry way into the Apple product line? They've got the iPhones for that and iPads too. The iPod Touch and other iPods are waning in sales. They too are overpriced.

So I wonder why does the Mac Mini still exist? How long without a refresh will it take for people to know that Apple is not making them anymore? Will stock run out and there will be no word from Apple admitting it is dead? Maybe the Apple store will stop posting them as available and that will be the signal.

How soon until an iPad is as powerful as a base Mac Mini? With the 64 bit iPhone out there now it shouldn't be too long.

What do you think?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Apple sells makes a profit for Apple. Or else they would drop it like a hot rock.

Until an iOS device can run any software I can get for it, with out having to circumvent the OS, I have no interest. Until then it's not something I'm interested in, no matter how powerful it might be.

Apple only updates products when they feel the need to update them. Since most sales are towards laptops and tablets, that's where Apple focuses attention.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does The Mac Mini Still Exist? Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
I like the style. I like the features. I don't like the price for the hardware received.

Apple doesn't update it often enough to keep it relevant. Is it even making a profit for Apple? Since they don't break down such numbers we can only guess that it is profitable.

Apple doesn't advertise it anymore so how can one even say the expensive Mini is an entry way into the Apple product line? They've got the iPhones for that and iPads too. The iPod Touch and other iPods are waning in sales. They too are overpriced.

So I wonder why does the Mac Mini still exist? How long without a refresh will it take for people to know that Apple is not making them anymore? Will stock run out and there will be no word from Apple admitting it is dead? Maybe the Apple store will stop posting them as available and that will be the signal.

How soon until an iPad is as powerful as a base Mac Mini? With the 64 bit iPhone out there now it shouldn't be too long.

What do you think?
I think the MM is a dam good computer and better than any i pads.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Mac mini is a great computer and totally safe within the Apple hardware ecosystem.

Why?

1. Have you ever noticed how fast the refurbs sell out? The Mac mini is always in demand.

2. More often that not, it's the number one selling desktop on Amazon.com. Another sign of it selling well.

3. Server form factor and capabilities. It's the only one marketed in the lineup.

4. It's always been highly reviewed by users. There is a loyal fan base and comfort factor with this system. It has a known track record now.

5. It's still the cheapest way for "switchers' to try a Mac, while allowing Apple to make a nice profit.

6. The convergence between tablets running a mobile OS and desktop computers running a true desktop OS is a rough sell. Ask Microsoft how that is going with Windows 8. People still prefer to do actual work on a windowed desktop operating system. Plus, the tablet market is becoming saturated. It makes me think Netbooks.

7. The Mac mini has been called dead more than once. Guess what? So has the Mac Pro. I just think Apple takes their time with the iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro when it come to updates. It's not their focus at the moment. The battleground is with iPads and iPhones. It's where ALL the profits are.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
MrMini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because its rock solid, kinda boring cause it works..I think there will always be a Mac Mini type
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Minis are the only Macs I've ever owned or wanted. The iMac is overpriced and I want a larger screen. I use my 1080p 52" HDTV. I do not want a desktop Mac with a monitor attached to it.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does The Mac Mini Still Exist? Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:

What do you think?

iPads have no storage and no connectivity when compared to a mac mini.

A mini can have a 2.5tb fusion drive. with a quad core cpu and 16gb ram,

It can connect to a 24tb promise fusion storage unit .

as of today most of us don't have a 4k tv. the 2012 quad core can handle a 1080 p screen with ease.

a mac mini can't do 2 things well game or handle a 4k screen.

a mac miniis not mobile to compare to an iPad is kind of pointless.

but if and when an ipad can store 2.5 tb and drive a 1080p tv it will be okay.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does The Mac Mini Still Exist? Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:

What do you think?
I think the i pad stinks! Overpriced and never worth the money they are charging for it.Not versatile at all.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does The Mac Mini Still Exist? Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
I think the i pad stinks! Overpriced and never worth the money they are charging for it.Not versatile at all.

Interesting. I find it very versatile and useful. Cost is in the eye of the beholder, but I haven't found it to be overpriced. It keeps me from having to take my laptop on travel, has great battery staying power and apps that keep me busily working without the laptop. Couldn't imagine work life without it at this point.

So, you're wrong! Smile
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple is holding back the Mac mini this time around to help booster early Mac Pro sales. They had an interesting take on this on the last episode of the MacBreak Weekly podcast. Episode #390.

http://twit.tv/show/macbreak-weekly/390
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
I think Apple is holding back the Mac mini this time around to help booster early Mac Pro sales. They had an interesting take on this on the last episode of the MacBreak Weekly podcast. Episode #390.

http://twit.tv/show/macbreak-weekly/390

I can buy that overall theory. It's a shame though, cause in the end they are probably missing sales with those with a more limited budget. And the truth be told, an updated machine brings even more power to the table. Which is plenty of power for most users.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hate to see the Mini go away. I would be no way as satisfied with a 'desktop' Mac. I use mine connected to the living room HDTV so I'm not a 'desktop' user. If they drop it or significantly change it, I'll be shopping for a new Mini to last even tho I'm happy with my 2.3 i7 16GB Fusion MM.

I think the ongoing focus on ATV and merging iOS and OS could effect the Mini. the growth areas are non-desktop. I assume Mini is low margin compared to the iMacs. The Mini is the only Mac I've ever had or wanted...
wolfcoyote

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
Mac Minis are the only Macs I've ever owned or wanted. The iMac is overpriced and I want a larger screen. I use my 1080p 52" HDTV. I do not want a desktop Mac with a monitor attached to it.

That's exactly the reason why I'll always purchase them. Unlike iMacs, if something goes wrong with the monitor or the computer itself I won't be out >$1,200.00 USD plus tax. Switching from Windows to Mac in mid-2009 was an uphill battle (lack of games, finding a good replacement for MS Office, imperfections in the hardware [fan speeds not increasing when overheating]) but I got WAY more value out of the emergency $600.00 purchase than I imagined once I found alternatives. I'm definitely retiring the machine later this year but so far the upcoming 2014 Mac mini and 16GBs of third-party RAM is the only option that I care about regarding new hardware.

I think Mac mini (the form factor, the price point and the style) is fine as-is. It'd be a shame if the mini line was discontinued.

iPad mini "R" (Retina Display), 32GB wi-fi only model
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: MM Reply with quote

wolfcoyote wrote:
gigaguy wrote:

That's exactly the reason why I'll always purchase them. Unlike iMacs, if something goes wrong with the monitor or the computer itself I won't be out >$1,200.00 USD plus tax. Switching from Windows to Mac in mid-2009 was an uphill battle (lack of games, finding a good replacement for MS Office, imperfections in the hardware [fan speeds not increasing when overheating]) but I got WAY more value out of the emergency $600.00 purchase than I imagined once I found alternatives. I'm definitely retiring the machine later this year but so far the upcoming 2014 Mac mini and 16GBs of third-party RAM is the only option that I care about regarding new hardware.

I think Mac mini (the form factor, the price point and the style) is fine as-is. It'd be a shame if the mini line was discontinued.
Don't worry it will still be around for some time to come.It is versatile and cheap to buy.
MacNcheese

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:

When I bought my first Mini back in 2010 I also purchased my LaCie 324 monitor. I just upgraded my Mini but my monitor is doing fine and I'm still very happy with it. I'd love to own a Mac Pro but that isn't in the cards right now and the Mini does what I need for the time being.

Mini~2.3GHz i7/16GB/1.0TB/WD Cloud 2TBx2, WD My Book 2TBx2 /LaCie DVD/CD drive/Airport Extreme/Airport Express/ LaCie 324 monitor.
iPod Classic x2
iPhone 4S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: