123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative to iPhoto Library Manager?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Alternative to iPhoto Library Manager? Reply with quote

A friend asked that I copy several photo collections onto a thumb drive for transfer to her machine.

Both my friend and I have iPhoto.

I tried using iPhoto Library Manager to copy some of my events into a new iPhoto Library on my friend's 32 GB thumb drive. (I don't want to copy my entire library over, as my iPhoto collection totals over 50,000 photos.) iPhoto Library Manager gave me a warning message that I need to purchase the software in order to copy photos from one library to another. As I have no real long-term use for iPhoto Library Manager, I would prefer not to buy it.

Are there any freeware alternatives that allow me to copy specific events from one iPhoto library to another? I want to do this to preseve some of the information (including informative Event titles) so my friend can navigate all these photos more easily.

An alternative might be to duplicate my entire iPhoto library and then delete most of it, leaving only the stuff my friend needs. This sounds like a VERY laborious route to take. (Unless iPhoto makes it easy somehow.)

MY HARDWARE
iMac 13,1 (late-2012) 2.9 GHz Core i5, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

MY SOFTWARE
MacOS 10.8
iLife 2011
Toast 9
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's been a while since you posted, so you might not be looking for an alternative anymore.

The only free software i can think of is Picasa. I haven't used it in a while, so I don't recall if it makes you upload photos to Google first, or not.

I would suggest Adobe Lightroom, although it's not free. It's about $150 for most people or $80 for students. You can also get it with Photoshop for $10 a month through Adobe Cloud. Give the trial version a try, many people prefer it over iPhoto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: