123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 mini stuck on grey apple logo start-up screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corsabrin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: 2009 mini stuck on grey apple logo start-up screen Reply with quote

Hello all,

My 2009 Intel mini is stuck on the grey apple logo start-up screen. I get the spinning loading cirlce, but it just sits there. I have the mini set to enter a password upon waking from sleep and last night when I went to wake up the machine I had the spinning beachball. After waiting for several minutes I shut the mini off and that is when the problem started.

I have tried resetting the pram, holding the d key, the c key, the shift key, command v and nothing works. I hear the chime when I first power it back on, but again cannot get past the start-up screen.

I do not have the snow leopard install cd, plus the optical drive died several months ago. I do have an external cd drive.

I have an external hd I use for time machine back-ups, but I cannot seem to get to a screen where I can load a time machine back-up.

Any ideas?!? I don't want to give up on my mini!

Thanks in advance.
MrMini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start up holding down Alt/Option key, see if that brings up HD
MrMini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if that don't work, unplug power cord from back of Mini wait 5 minutes, hold down power button and plug in power cord to back of Mini.
MrMini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also read this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=813106&highlight=won+t+start
corsabrin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressing the option key did bring up an icon of my internal HD with an arrow beneath pointing up. When I click on the arrow it goes to the grey logo screen and gets stuck again. I was hoping I could load a backup from my time machine HD but I cannot seem to be able to access it. I'm beginning to worry that my mini might be toast and I don't want that to happen.
MrMini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need new HD, then use TM to reinstall
corsabrin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally solved the problem with my mac mini by buying a new macbook pro with retina display! Very Happy

The hard drive bricked on my mini and I could not get anything to work to solve the problem. After deciding it was not worth the trouble to pry open the mini and replace the hard dive, a new portable macbook seemed like a good idea. I hooked up my time machine drive and next thing I know I'm using my new macbook pro just like I was my mini. Gotta love the simplicity in that!

I will miss my mini as it was my first experience using a mac and I do not think I will be going back to using a windows machine at home ever again. OS X Mavericks has a lot for me to lean coming from Snow Leopard and I like what I'm seeing so far.

I spent a lot of time lurking on the forums here before I decided to purchase my 2009 mac mini and I'm glad I did. Things have slowed down around here since then, but I have always thought this was one of the better forum communities around. I'm sure I will continue to visit often and learn more and even help out every once and awhile.

RIP 2009 mac mini, you served me well.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're up and running again with your new MBP, it might be worth re-visiting your mini, and indeed: prying it open, install new HD, recreate OS from the grey disks, and you'll have a useful (and saleable) nice "new" mini?
corsabrin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Now you're up and running again with your new MBP, it might be worth re-visiting your mini, and indeed: prying it open, install new HD, recreate OS from the grey disks, and you'll have a useful (and saleable) nice "new" mini?

That is a good idea. Pardon my ignorance, but what are grey disks? I'm not sure if I have the Snow Leopard install disks.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two grey Mac OSX DVD disks that would have come with the mini when new?

You can boot up from disk No.1, after you have installed a blank new HD, and copy the OS onto the HD, giving you a "factory fresh" mini.

Alternatively, if you can find the retail Snow Leopard disk, you can do the same from that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: