123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New members...welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamamacmini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Back in the land of Mac Reply with quote

16gb Emory upgrade now done, running on all 8 cylinders now

Mamamacmini wrote:
Long time mac fan, now back with the i7 2.3 mid model...... Running dual 23 screens and external 1tb drive.

16gb memory being delivered tomorrow

Great to be back after being the land of windows for nearly 7 years.....
adamk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my mac mini 2 days ago. Been using windows since the day I started using a computer (so ...13 years) and this would be my very first Apple product. Never thought i'd buy anything from Apple but I have to say the mac mini is great. I got an awesome deal liquidation on the mid-2011 model 2.5Ghz I5 4Gbs ram & Radeon 6630 graphic card, so i'm quite happy. Glad I had a buddy who's been using Macs for years so it hasn't been too hard to figure out and all that. Gave up my dinosaur of a desktop, even tried Linux as an alternative to W7 but it just didn't do it for me.

It seems like a highly debated topic but it came with Lion 10.7 which got an upgrade right away to 10.7.5. Do I or should I bother installing Mountain Lion or keep it on Lion? My buddy has a CD to install ML so cost isn't the issue. Opinions?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamk wrote:
I just got my mac mini 2 days ago. Been using windows since the day I started using a computer (so ...13 years) and this would be my very first Apple product. Never thought i'd buy anything from Apple but I have to say the mac mini is great. I got an awesome deal liquidation on the mid-2011 model 2.5Ghz I5 4Gbs ram & Radeon 6630 graphic card, so i'm quite happy. Glad I had a buddy who's been using Macs for years so it hasn't been too hard to figure out and all that. Gave up my dinosaur of a desktop, even tried Linux as an alternative to W7 but it just didn't do it for me.

It seems like a highly debated topic but it came with Lion 10.7 which got an upgrade right away to 10.7.5. Do I or should I bother installing Mountain Lion or keep it on Lion? My buddy has a CD to install ML so cost isn't the issue. Opinions?

I suggest you purchase Mountain Lion. Apple certainly isn't robbing you by only charging $19, why would you want to steal from Apple? I believe you will change your way of thinking once you see the value you receive from your Apple product.

That being said, I would upgrade.

I hope you enjoy your Mac mini. Welcome to the forum.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: MM 2011 model Reply with quote

adamk wrote:

Welcome here. Good luck with your MM. Do what you will be satisfied with both are good OS.
adamk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thanks x2 Smile

For now I guess I'll stick with Lion and eventually upgrade.

I can't figure out how to switch the audio source. For instance, I'm using my monitor connected with the supplied adapter (DVI>HDMI) and I unplug it when I want to use my TV. I bought a thunderbolt>DVI adapter so I don't have to keep doing this but that's not the issue. When my TV is plugged in via HDMI, the sound only comes out if I unplug my speakers from the headphone jack. With the speakers plugged in, I cannot switch the sound (in preferences) to HDMI. Unplug it and the sound comes out through the TV. The sound setting recognizes my TV is there but if I click on it it'll revert back to my speakers if they're plugged in. So...without unplugging the speakers each time for the sound to work on my TV, is there a fix for this?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamk wrote:
^ Thanks x2 Smile

For now I guess I'll stick with Lion and eventually upgrade.

I can't figure out how to switch the audio source. For instance, I'm using my monitor connected with the supplied adapter (DVI>HDMI) and I unplug it when I want to use my TV. I bought a thunderbolt>DVI adapter so I don't have to keep doing this but that's not the issue. When my TV is plugged in via HDMI, the sound only comes out if I unplug my speakers from the headphone jack. With the speakers plugged in, I cannot switch the sound (in preferences) to HDMI. Unplug it and the sound comes out through the TV. The sound setting recognizes my TV is there but if I click on it it'll revert back to my speakers if they're plugged in. So...without unplugging the speakers each time for the sound to work on my TV, is there a fix for this?

Nope not without some sort of additional software (that I'm not aware of).
This is how the operating system was designed to work. The reason being that it would be a pain in the butt to have to go into settings each time you plug in a set of headphones. When you plug a device into the 3.5mm headphone port it assumes you intend to use it.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamk wrote:
So...without unplugging the speakers each time for the sound to work on my TV, is there a fix for this?

I bought a Griffin iMac USB audio for a similar reason where I was fed up plugging / unplugging my headphones all the time.

I now have the headphones permanently connected via the Griffin iMic and switch from my iMac's speakers to headphones via the menu bar speaker icon. ALT clicking the speaker icon and selecting the output device.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
BPT123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: New to Mac Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to the world of Macs. I have an iPad 1, that I got pretty soon after release. I have also had an iPhone (4S) for about 2 years. I can say that I am happy with both products and what they offer.
I recently got a 2.3G i7 w/ 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD. I have to say, I really enjoy it. I have it setup in the living room on the big monitor, my TV. I use it to surf, play and read all while sitting on the couch. LOVE that!
I upgraded the memory today to 16GB. I can definitely tell the difference. My son and I play around with Lego Mindstorms. When I would run the software, i noticed that it was a long load time and would at times lag when moving programming bricks. After the upgrade....no probs! It starts up in no time flat and I can run multiple applications at the same time and not even notice. I have to say that I am pleased with the product that I have. Thanks Apple!
Sal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi All,

I got my mac mini about a week ago, and am loving it!! Very Happy

It works great in the living room with the telly as a monitor. Sought out this site to work on fine tuning a few things, like getting it connected to my macbook pro (although connecting to a sony laptop was a piece of cake! Go figure...)

Can't complain though. Loving the new piece of tech Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: