123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I bother upgrading my mini to Mavericks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adv2k169

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Should I bother upgrading my mini to Mavericks? Reply with quote

This is my stats:

1.83 ghz Intel Core 2 duo
4 gig ram
Graphics Intel GMA 950 64 MB
320 GB SATA HD

I still have Lion running on it, but I got a reminder that I can upgrade for free. Can my mini handle it? Or is it just a standard reminder for everyone? I didn't qualify for mountain lion upgrade, but I know they tried to get mavericks to work on everything.

I do have a back up storage external hard drive but its in a safe 200 miles from me.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I bother upgrading my mini to Mavericks? Reply with quote

adv2k169 wrote:

This is my stats:

1.83 ghz Intel Core 2 duo
4 gig ram
Graphics Intel GMA 950 64 MB
320 GB SATA HD

I still have Lion running on it, but I got a reminder that I can upgrade for free. Can my mini handle it? Or is it just a standard reminder for everyone? I didn't qualify for mountain lion upgrade, but I know they tried to get mavericks to work on everything.

I do have a back up storage external hard drive but its in a safe 200 miles from me.
Keep LION OS it is very good. Mavericks no big deal.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mavericks is okay, but Mountain Lion is just as good.

I upgraded to Mavericks as I wanted better support for multiple monitors which is now much better in Mavericks.

I had Mavericks running fine on my iMac which was only a 2.0GHz Core2Duo with 4GB Ram. This mini I'm on at the moment is a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram and its fine on that as well.

Mountain Lion and Mavericks are both better options than Lion.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
adv2k169

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yeah go ahead and upgrade it will work? my expecations are low
MrMini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use Snow Leopard, its rock solid
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: LION OS Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

I upgraded to Mavericks as I wanted better support for multiple monitors which is now much better in Mavericks.

I had Mavericks running fine on my iMac which was only a 2.0GHz Core2Duo with 4GB Ram. This mini I'm on at the moment is a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram and its fine on that as well.

You are wrong LION OS is way better than mavericks.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again, back on the Marv knows best...

nobody is WRONG each is entitled to his opinion and I'm not being drawn in by your trolling.

You can stick with Lion and I won't be Razz

Goodbye !!!

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adv2k169, you can not install Mavericks on your mini. It doesn't meet the minimum system requirements. If Lion is working well for you, stick with it (you have 4GB RAM, so it should be running fine). It will add a few more years life to your system as 10.7 is often the minimum requirements for newer cloud based applications.

I personally think Lion was the worst OS that Apple has ever came out with, but that's to be expected with the abundance of new features that were introduced and the removal of features we were all used to (such as "save as").

Mountain Lion ironed out a lot of the wrinkles and Mavericks was more about optimization (as opposed to new features). Snow Leopard was similar in nature in it's time... it was about optimization and thus the favourite operating system for most users with old systems ie. Core 2 Duo and older.

BTW even though everyone is entitled to an opinion, you may want to look at a members past posts prior to taking any members advice. Don't just look at the post count.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: LION OS Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Cypher wrote:

You are wrong LION OS is way better than mavericks.

Really? Maverick's has been much more solid that Lion ever was for me. And a free update...it was at the right price and all my computers are happy.

Maybe I will start referring to Lion as "Marvericks"... I couldn't help it Smile
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
adv2k169, you can not install Mavericks on your mini. It doesn't meet the minimum system requirements.

I forgot about that, my daughter has the white 2.0GHz Core2Duo macbook and she couldn't upgrade to Mountain Lion. So she's still back on Snow Leopard. I think my iMac probably only got away with it thanks to the better GPU.

macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly: I found mac os x lion to be quite buggy at times and kinda drove me nuts on major issues so on my mac i decided to dual boot lion and snow leopard so i didn't lose my powerpc support all you have to do is dual partition your hard drive and thats it
BPT123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Mavericks -trouble updating apps?? Reply with quote

I have had some trouble updating certain apps after installing Mavericks. That is the only quirk I've seen so far. Albeit, I have only been on Mavericks for about a week. However, i do like the integration that it brought with the calendar. Now my wife and I can share and edit the same calendar. If you are married, (and MALE) you know that comes in handy. I use my home computer (Mac Mini_2.3GHz i7 w/ 16GB of RAM) as base date keeper. It is attached to iCloud so where we go, it goes. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: