123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel Core Duo/Tiger - How to boost wifi signal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringbeany

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Intel Core Duo/Tiger - How to boost wifi signal? Reply with quote

After replacing the hard drive, the airport signal strength is averaging one fewer bars. It shows a single bar more than it did before and the number of bars fluctuate much more often. I triple checked when I put the antenna back, it was back exactly as it originally was. Perhaps I did something to the antenna I'm unaware of.

I know my Mini is really old, as is the OS, 10.4. Will something like this boost my signal?

http://www.amazon.com/Protronix-802-11N-Wireless-Adapter-150Mbps/dp/B004BAN3D6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1390686136&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+wifi+signal+booster

Or maybe replace the wifi antenna?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121237673206?lpid=82
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off no the usb dongle won't work on the macintosh you have mentioned because mac only has drivers for compatible cards only for tiger as for your signal strength i can help you there easy change your wireless routers ssid channel number to 11 or even higher if it supports it you could be getting channel interference issues
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you checked the connector for the antenna.

Newertech has you covered with a USB adapter. They have support from Leopard to Mountain Lion. I used another one from them in the past and it got me by until the Intel-based Mac minis came out.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXP3802NU2C/

I'm not saying the Protronix isn't good, but you'll probably get better support from Newertech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: