123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resolution issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Resolution issue Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

This has been driving me nuts for days....

I have recently upgraded my mid 2010 Mac Mini to a new one and I am having real problems with the screen resolution. All the display settings are identical on both my new and old mini's, I am using HDMI and the same Sony Bravia LCD TV (KDL40T2800). The old mini is a 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8Gb RAM, The new one is 2.5Ghz Intel Dual Core i5 processor with 4Gb RAM. I am running both at "Best for Scaled"' 1360 x 768/60 (NTFS - I think). The Sony's display settings are identical.

The problem is that I am getting a pink/green hue on the new mini. When I switch res to 780p or 1080i, the hue disappears but the text and imagery loose all of their normal 'smoothing', making it difficult to read (I also have to under scan to make it fit on the screen).

I have swapped HDMI cables and ports on both mini's. I have tried 2 different borrowed monitors (which seem to work fine).

Funny thing is... I took a screen grab of my desktop on the new mini to post up here, but when I opened it on my old mini to attach to this... it was perfectly fine.

I'm completely lost... any help would be gratefully accepted.

Many Thanks in advance.

JW
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because you cannot run 1080I nor P you have to run the screen resolution at 1600x900 to get the best results sorry!!!

any setting that goes into hd 720p 1080i 1080p will just yield the same results blurred icons text and hue issues its not a uncommon problem even with windows users.

There is a sort of solution that i haven't tried because i don't have a 1,000 tv to try it with you need a tv that says true hd on the box it would seem tv's that say they are hd are not really hd but are feeding a component signal through a hdmi emulation enumeration board instead faking hd!!!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for information about this set, but it's kinda not available.

From the lackluster information I found from Sony, it's either a 1366 or 1920 display. If the 1920 display is blurry then I'd venture to guess it's 1366.

The reason the screen shot looks sharp is because it's based on the image the mini is sending the display, not the way the display is displaying it.

You may need to run the ColorSync display calibration to get it to get rid of the pink hue.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
John Wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, however... what I don't understand is why it works perfectly on my older mid-2010 mini? The settings are exactly the same on both the TV and the mini. It must have something to do with the newer graphics chip and how it outputs through HDMI. The graphics card is the only difference...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its a hd graphics card then yes it has a lot to do with it !!!

hd graphics cards especially low powered ones will only display in 720p max resolution for some strange reason even on windows 1080p gives weird results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: