123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Cooling for the Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyfasteddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Best Cooling for the Mac Mini Reply with quote

Just wondering. Got a unibody i7 Server and Handbrake and even iMovie cranks the temps up big time. Anyone got a way to set up external fans to cool this better? I had it on its side now with an USB fan blowing on the bottom but temps still go to 98C using Handbrake!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size fan do you have below?

You might try something like the Cooler Master NotePal X3 or NotePal X-Slim. They are made for laptops, but push a lot of air with their larger 160mm and 200mm fans. The base of the NotePal X-Slim seems just about perfect for the Mac mini. At $20 on Newegg it might be worth a try.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
crazyfasteddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 120mm external cage fan that throws out 66CFM.. don't really know if it's doing anything tho.. think of trying to use it as an exhaust may be better..
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a similar one from Cooler Master with my 2011 Macbook Pro. It does a tremendous job with heat dissipation. Especially while running Handbrake or watching HD Flash video. Perhaps as much as a 10 degree difference.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using handbrake to rip a DVD? If you are I'd suggest getting MDRP (mac dvd ripper pro) and use it to rip the .dvdmedia to your HD then use handbrake to transcode that way the time running the DVD is limited to a quick rip and the time processing the file isn't also running the DVD. Transcoding the file can take an hour or two, if the DVD is spinning that whole time it can heat things up.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just setup smc fan control to a higher speed when I use Handbrake or any application which raise the heat of my macmini and it works.
MAXB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: mac mini cooling Reply with quote

i'm considering a 'cluster' of mac minis (4) - do i need to worry about cooling? they don't seem to get very hot but reading these forums i'm worried... should i be thinking of something like this?
http://mk1manufacturing.com/store/Colocation-Racks/Fixed-rack-mount-for-8-Mini-s-p28.html

what considerations should I make if I stack them??
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: mac mini cooling Reply with quote

MAXB wrote:
i'm considering a 'cluster' of mac minis (4) - do i need to worry about cooling? they don't seem to get very hot but reading these forums i'm worried... should i be thinking of something like this?
http://mk1manufacturing.com/store/Colocation-Racks/Fixed-rack-mount-for-8-Mini-s-p28.html

Keep your A/C on all day and the problem will be gone.
MAXB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: best cooling for mac mini.. Reply with quote

hmmmm - i'm more comfortable on the cooling side having checked out heat outputs.. might check out putting them in Colocker.com as I need good two way comms, async broadband is not good enough i don't think and i can't get virgin cable.. anyone got any experience of them?
wizard69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: mac mini cooling Reply with quote

MAXB wrote:
i'm considering a 'cluster' of mac minis (4)

Which means nothing if you don't tell us what you are doing with that cluster.
Quote:

- do i need to worry about cooling? they don't seem to get very hot but reading these forums i'm worried... should i be thinking of something like this?

Of course you need to worry about cooling when you implement a machine in a way not originally intended. That would be very ugly without the associated 19" rack! The general idea isn't too bad though, that is keep the Minis spaced out for cooling.
Quote:

Don't!

Seriously the newest Minis have air intakes on the bottom, you don't want to restrict that or bias the air with heat from the underlying unit. If you want a vertical solution, space will have to be provided to maintain normal air flows. Even then heat rises which may mean supplemental cooling.

By the way, alternative ideas:
1. http://sonnettech.com/product/rackmacmini.html
2. http://www.h-sq.com/products/minirack/

Not that I've had experience with either solution above. In fact my engineering mind says cooling will be a problem. However they are legitimate ideas for you to consider.
sje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2102 (current) 2.3 GHz Core i7 Mini and it runs full throttle 24/7. Yet it does not get excessively warm because:

1. I regularly clean the dust out of the heat vent.
2. There are no obstructions to the sides or to the top of the machine.
3. 99% of the time, the machine runs headless with no monitor attached.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: