123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal Slot Loading Blu Ray drive for 2006 Mac Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arctictundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Internal Slot Loading Blu Ray drive for 2006 Mac Mini? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Having obtained a free mac mini in 2006, the machine is still going strong for my needs (general surfing and emails, plus lesson planniong for my teaching on keynote etc.). The machine was an original core solo mini, but I have managed to upgrade as much as I could throughout the years so that it now contains:

Core 2 Duo processor (2.0ghz)
Superdrive combo
A new Wifi card (now reads n)
4gb ram (but only reads 3gb due to 2.1 update as supported here in the forums)
320gb hard drive

As I say, it runs everything I need on Snow Leopard and I begrudge buying a new mini as I don't need it for too much really.

However, I'm interested in transferring a large blu-ray and dvd collection to an external drive (possibly a home server in the future), and am therefore keen to see if I can install a blu-ray drive into the mac mini.

Can anyone help with this - is it even possible? I've been looking at the matshita drives - UJ-267 and also the Sony 5600S - however I'm not sure if either of these will work. My only requirement is that I don't want to spend a fortune, but I'd like to be able to burn at the highest speed possible where I can.

If there's any way you guys can help with this, that'd be great. I'm from the UK but am flying to New York over Christmas so could possiby pick up anything stateside then if needed.

Many thanks!
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for an full-sized, tray-loading Blu-ray drive in a USB-connected, mains-powered external case for several reasons:

- more reliable (less likely to swallow discs and refuse to eject them)
- likely to last longer too, before it just dies without warning, like so many slot-loading drives do
- you can keep it when you move on from this mini (e.g. a mini with NO optical drive)
- you can use it on other Macs
- you can use it on Windows
- you can lend it to friends
- likely to be faster to read and write (much better for ripping lots of discs!)
- etc.

There are so many compromises in slot-loaders, compared to tray-loaders, the physical convenience (the ONLY advantage) is just not worth it. IMHO!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BE12LU38-External-Blu-ray-Re-Writer/dp/B005UH6MW8

BTW: You'll probably need Roxio Toast, to be able to mount Blu-ray data discs for read/writing in OSX (and burning Blu-ray video discs, if you ever need that.)
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go slot loading!!!

go external its better for your needs
arctictundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies mooblie and macmanmacman - that's really appreciated.

I totally understand the logic of the external drive - the LG one that you mentioned seems to have excellent reviews and is really quick for reading BluRays which would work perfectly.

My only concern is the size! It looks like an absolute beast, and I don't have too much space on my desk which is why I went for the mac mini in the first place. The cost is also a slight factor here too.

Is there anything else that you can recommend (either internal or external) that would still read around the x6 - x8 rate and not look like a monster?!

I really, really appreciate all your kind help and time.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all external tray-loading drives are about the same size (think 5.25" drive bay in an ordinary PC). You won' t need it attached all the time, except when actually ripping/burning discs, surely?

There's always this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proxima-Direct%C2%AE-External-compatible-MacBook/dp/B008NVWCIG

...but it's CD and DVD only (no Blu-ray). Sad (It's also slot-loading, so it probably won't be as reliable or fast.)
arctictundra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi mooblie and macmanmacman,

Just a quick post to say a massive thanks for all your help and time - I ended up grabbing a Samsung SE506BE external blu ray burner for just 35 on ebay and it works a treat.

Your advice was spot-on, as it now means that I can upgrade the rest of my 2006 mac mini (I'm now looking at removing the internal slot loading dvd drive of the mini and replacing this with a second hard drive instead).

Massive thanks again,

arctictundra
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help, and glad it's all working for you! Sounds like you got a bargain external drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: