123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newer Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Newer Mac Mini Reply with quote

I just purchased my Newer Mac Mini and what is this best way to transfer programs? Should I just backup from Time Machine? Will my emails be there too?
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer Mac Mini Reply with quote

MrMini wrote:
I just purchased my Newer Mac Mini and what is this best way to transfer programs? Should I just backup from Time Machine? Will my emails be there too?
MrMini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
MrMini

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Migration Assistant Reply with quote

I used Migration Assistant, worked great, then pulled some files down from Time Machine..

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do a clean install. If you using an IMAP mail server rather than POP then all your emails are on the server anyway. So will appear back in mail first time you sync.

Calendar, bookmarks etc sync from iCloud

Apps I just reinstall those as I need them, a fresh install is a good time to review what you use and what you don't. I store all my downloaded app DMG's to external storage so its easy to add them back. I also always keep the URL shortcut in the same folder as the download so can quickly check if a newer version is available. All my DMG get a version number appended to them if they aren't their by default.

My Documents sync from Dropbox

and everything else is stored on external storage so is already in place once I set back up.

1Password has all my logins and app serial numbers so I install that to get to all my info.

I've never been a fan of migrating, or of updating to a new OS without a doing a clean install.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: