123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Mac (Drive Questions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: New to Mac (Drive Questions) Reply with quote

OK So Hi there People New to the Site & to Mac Software.

So Frankly I DEFECTED Over to Apple, Mainly because I have an Apple iPhone & It made Sense that a Mac would be better for me & the iPhone Right.

Anyway I'll get to the point.

Basically I Have an KINGSTON 120GB SSD V300, That was in my Windows Machine for Document Storage Only & was never used for OS Install. It's still as new & is only 2 month Old.

My Question is since it was Formatted with a Windows Machine would it still work if I connected it via USB to the Mac & Formatted it & then Installed It in the Mac Mini as the Main OS Install Disk.

Then have the Old 500GB out of the Mac Mini as a Storage Drive in the Mac Mini, & a Old 1TB Drive i also had on Windows also for storage. If after I've formatted it to Mac, Would they work on the Mac. Or Would there still be old Windows files left on the Drives that could cause Issue's ??

Because I'm a Darn Noob to Mac I'm not sure if I can use Old Windows Drives On a Mac, That's Once Re-Formatted with the Mac of course.

Please forgive My Naiveness on the Mac Subject, I've Just Defected from Windows.

I'm not totally Clueless went it comes to Rigs.. I was a Member of the ROG= (Republic Of Gamers) Website & came in the top 10 world wide in OverClocking. But as we all Know Mac are NOT windows lol.

Any Help would be Greatly Welcomed.. Thank You

Very Happy
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Code

Welcome to the forum, its nice to see a fellow Lancastrian around here Smile

The drive should be readable in the Mac even with the windows formatting. The Mac will read NTFS and FAT formats but it doesn't play too well writing to NTFS. It will work better writing FAT so if you want a drive to work in both windows and on the Mac its best to format it for FAT32

When you format the drive you will loose all the files on it, so only format if you have a backup or the files are not important to you.

To convert your drives to Mac use Disk Utility and select the format option to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Partition the drive with a GUID Partition Table. You'll find these settings in Disk Utility which is in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, formatting a drive in Disk Utility is much easier than tracking down the hidden utilities in Windows to format a disk.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Code

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cypher

@Smithcraft

Always great to have fellow locals around, Thanks Mate.

That sounds so much easier than a windows Machine right Lol.

I'll not be using windows at all, It's just Mac from now on Smile

So Once formatted with Mac Disk Utility is Installing Mac OS Just like Installing windows ?

Like I Can Burn Mavericks to a DVD- or + & then Just the dick in the superdrive
& Boot from disk right ?

Or do I have to install Lion first then Update to Mavericks from the App Store After ? Also Can we do custom installs, I Just want English Locals On the system & non of all them others..

Sorry if these Questions seem. Somewhat Very Noobish Laught Out Loud.. But I've not got a darn clue with Mac Until I learn Lol

Again Guys.. Thank You for the Welcome & Thanks again for Being Understanding & not taking P*ss haha..

Thanks
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you already have Moutain Lion on your Mini I'd boot your Mini with that on your existing HDD but during the upgrade to Mavericks I'd select the SSD as the destination location so you get a clean install on the SSD. Once the install is completed you can test the Mavericks install by booting from that and once you happy swap out the drives and install the SSD in the Mini.

BTW When you go on the app store and download Mavericks abort the install. then make a copy of the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" file. Keep this copy for future installs. When you run the installer (no need to copy to DVD for now) you can select the SSD as the destination. When the installer completes it will delete the downloaded Installer, which is why I make a copy first.

I haven't bothered to create a backup DVD or USB Memory stick I've just installed straight from the hard drive.

I'm still running Mountain Lion on my iMac as my main OS but I have partitioned the drive and performed a clean install of Mavericks on the other partition.

Code

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cypher

Oops!!. I forgot to Mention I've already upgraded it to the Mavericks OS.
Sorry mate...

But OK So this still shouldn't be a an Issue.
I Can still Download Mavericks & Format the SSD with Mac & then copy the Mavericks App for future use.

Click install & pick the SSD & then boot from that to see if everything is ok.

TO pick your boot drive is it like windows, boot to BIOS or does Mac not have a BIOS lol And pick primary boot device.

OK Look I'm starting to feel like I'm taking up to much time, so is there a tutorial any place as you know of..

I'll take a Gander round the forum after i posted this..

Thanks again Cypher for all your time & Help Man..
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code wrote:
TO pick your boot drive is it like windows, boot to BIOS or does Mac not have a BIOS lol And pick primary boot device.

You can set the startup volume in "System Preferences -> Startup Disk"

alternatively just hold down the OPTION key on startup to select from available volumes (OPTION is the same as the ALT key on newer Mac keyboards)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: