123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade from Mac from 10.6.8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoot69

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Upgrade from Mac from 10.6.8 Reply with quote

I have a Core2 2.26 unit, with 8GB of Ram. Daily use is no problem.

Now 10.9 is out and free. Apple is also selling 10.7 or 10.8 for $20.

Any reason to upgrade? I use Chrome for browisng, Mail, and iTunes daily. Other than that, not too many other apps.

=-= Hoot
papercut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same question at Hoot69 and would love to hear some opinions. I have a late-2009, Core 2 Duo, 2.53GHz mini with 4GB of memory. I'm still running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and things are working fine.

Is it a good idea to upgrade to Mavericks or are there requirements (processor or memory) that would make this a bad choice? Opinions on this upgrade seem to be rather scarce.

Perhaps I've answered my own question by saying that things are currently working fine on my Mac, but I'd still like to know if the upgrade is recommended or discouraged.

Thanks.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works fine, then I would stay with 10.6 until you find that you have to get 10.9.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
zedtvl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly!!!!

I beta tested mavericks i have 2 machines my mac mini and my imac i leave my imac on snow leopard server because i have way to many games and apps from the powerpc models to really lose rosetta so i would recommend honestly if you need to upgrade upgrade if your planing on games that work only in lion and mountain lion then upgrade but i still dont see a reason to get rid of snow just yet
papercut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinions. Looks like I'll be staying on Snow Leopard for a while longer. I'm not a gamer and have only found one utility app so far that required 10.7 or higher and it's nothing that I really needed anyway. Always good to get the advice of the folks who do this stuff professionally. Greatly appreciated.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem
Hoot69

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Changes of opinion? Reply with quote

Even though does not appear to have been effected by the "gotofail" bug, the tech community is pushing for 10.6 users to upgrade.

Thoughts?

=-= Hoot
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason there pushing people to upgrade is so they can sell you a new computer for 1,000 dollers to $800.00 and the other thing that there trying to pull is the bait and switch lie right now as well.

like world of warcraft is telling people to upgrade to mavericks good idea except the game was launched on the powerpc macintosh and cannot be upgraded so if you live in canada or the u.k where they have a huge powerpc community you kinda got a problem there huh.

and think about losing your powerpc support completely..

not really fair..
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Mavericks since about a month after release on a 2009 Mac Mini 2.53GHz Core2Duo with 4GB of ram. It runs fine. I mainly only use this machine for browsing the internet, email, watching films, TV, training videos and the like. I don't play games or anything like that.

I've always felt this mini was a little sluggish compared to my 2.0Ghz iMac, so I'd just add that its maybe a little sluggish at times but no worse than it was running the previous Operating Systems.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
FishKepr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It drives us crazy that Apple discontinues support with no official warning. All three of our Macs max out with 10.7 and it would hurt to replace them all at once. Not to mention that we really love our daughter's iMac 5,1 and we would be sorry to see it go.
strawbale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar question:

Our main machines are two mid-2007 MMs (2.0GHz, 2 GB) still running fine on 10.5.8.
I've recently got a 2nd hand mid-2007 17" MBP (2.4GHz, 2 GB) running 10.6.8 that I only use occasionally (e.g. for things that need 10.6). Occasionally I come across things that need 10.7 or more recent, so I was wondering if my MBP would run 10.9 (sort of) satisfactorily? I'm not intending on spending any extra cash on the MBP. I'd use it for Spotify and a few other apps, until I'll replace one of the MMs (which I'd only do if one of them 'dies').

Thanks for any feedback/advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: