123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPad Air Review Roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: iPad Air Review Roundup Reply with quote

iPad Air Review Roundup
Thursday, October 31, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Here's a roundup of reviews for the new iPad Air, which is coming to a store near you this Friday. It includes reviews from The Loop, AllThingsD, AnandTech, Daring Fireball, Engadget, The Telegraph, USA Today, A Note From Pogue, CNET, Pocket-lint, T3, TechCrunch, Slashgear, Mashable, The Guardian, Time, The New York Times and Bloomberg. Down below, you'll find some excerpts and links to each review. Check them out if you are interested!

The Loop - "It's very hard to describe how good the iPad Air feels in your hand without actually picking one up. It's kind of like the first time you saw a Retina display for the first time - shock," writes Jim Dalrymple.

AllThingsD – "I've been testing the iPad Air for about a week and found it a pleasure to use. This new iPad isn't a radical rethinking of what a tablet can be, but it's a major improvement on a successful product. It is the best tablet I've ever reviewed," writes Walt Mossberg.

AnandTech – "The iPad Air is the most significant upgrade to the 9.7-inch iPad in its history. It's lighter, more portable, more usable and faster than any previous iPad. It doesn't fundamentally change what you can do with a tablet, but if you're in the market for one the iPad Air really is the best iPad to date. Competition is definitely more stiff among the smaller tablets thanks to the Nexus 7, but in the nearly 10-inch tablet space it seems like Apple is going to continue to enjoy a great position there," writes Anand Lal Shimpi.

Daring Fireball - "An obsession with treating tablets as an entirely new and separate product category is blinding some observers from what is really going on with the iPad - it is taking over a large segment of the PC industry. As iPad sales have grown, PC sales have contracted. I expect the iPad Air to accelerate both trends — the growth in iPad sales, and the contraction of the PC market," writes John Gruber.

Engadget – "The iPad Air is the best iPad we've reviewed. In addition, though, it's also the most comfortable 10-inch tablet we've ever tested. Not every manufacturer can produce a thin and light device without also making it feel cheap or flimsy, but Apple nailed it. Factor in a sizable boost in performance and battery life, and the Air is even more compelling. The last two iPads served up relatively few improvements, but the Air provides people with more of a reason to upgrade or even buy a tablet for the first time," writes Brad Molen.

The Telegraph – "Its light weight and thin form mean it gets out of the way – you don't notice it, but you notice what you're doing on it. That, potentially, unleashes a new generation of tablet-based productivity. The fact that Apple is now giving away even more software means that perhaps the rebranding is, therefore, more than simply a marketing exercise. Air may yet be the oxygen for a new wave of uses for the iPad," writes Matt Warman.

USA Today – "As it happens, though, this latest full-size Apple tablet is the most tempting iPad yet, better than its already best of breed predecessors, superior still to each and every rival big screen slate that I've tested. Apple dominates the tablet apps ecosystem. Its tablet remains the easiest to use," writes Edward Baig.

A Note From Pogue – "You'll find the Air a fantastic leap into the future if you're upgrading from an original iPad, or if you've never owned a tablet before," writes David Pogue.

CNET – "Functionally, the iPad Air is nearly identical to last year's model, offering only faster performance and better video chatting. But factor in design and aesthetics, and the iPad Air is on another planet. It's the best full-size consumer tablet on the markem," writes Tim Stevens.

Pocket-lint – "Apple has done it again: the iPad Air is a tablet better than the last iPad. Simply put the iPad Air is the best iPad the company has ever made. It's light, it's thin, it's fast, it's amazing," writes Stuart Miles.

T3 – "Pitching the iPad Air against its competitors is quite easy – it's the best looking, premium, and app-happy tablet on the market. The cosmetic design changes are an unequivocal improvement, and the weight reduction proves a genuine benefit for everyday use," writes Luke Peters.

TechCrunch - "The iPad Air is a huge improvement over the iPad 4th-gen, or the iPad 2, pictured in the gallery. Its form factor is the best currently available for a 10-inch tablet, and it provides a great blend of portability and usability that leans towards the media device end of the spectrum," writes Darrell Etherington.

Slashgear - "The iPad Air is the no-compromise tablet. Beautiful display, crisp design, premium build quality: it's the gold-standard by which tablets are judged, and rightly so. If Apple's full-sized slates had fallen into the shadow of their mini brethren over the past twelve months, the iPad Air brings the larger tablet right back into the spotlight," writes Vincent Nguyen.

Mashable – "Yes, it's true, the iPad Air is essentially a larger iPad Mini Retina. For some, that's a disappointment. For me, the new iPad Air is close to everything a consumer tablet should be: Light, fast, fun, beautiful and a little bit like the future," writes Lance Ulanoff.

The Guardian - "It's only when you get hold of an iPad Air that you realise how well Apple has crafted this device. It's lighter and the internals are faster. Add in the free software, and it has raised the bar on what you can do out of the box with a tablet. The iPad now isn't just something to do a few functions around and about. It's a device to replace your computer for almost everything," writes Charles Author.

Time - "Designwise, this iPad is so much svelter that it almost feels like a new class of Apple tablet, but it remains an iPad - and for now, at least, that continues to be the most important bragging right that any tablet can claim," writes Harry McCracken.

The New York Times - "I am not sure making the iPad Air lighter will be enough to persuade people who have never felt the need to buy one to race to the Apple store. But I bet that even without a beach-reading, dream-catching upgrade, many do," writes Damon Darlin.

Bloomberg - "Not that long ago, the iPad so dominated the tablet market that it would have been unthinkable to buy something else. With the rise of quality tablets from Google, Amazon and others, it's no longer the only choice. But it's still the best choice," writes Rich Jaroslovsky.

Update: Here are new reviews of the iPad Air from PC Magazine, The Verge, Electronista, Ars Technica, Apple Insider, Laptop Magazine and iLounge.

PC Magazine - "The iPad Air is Apple's attempt to make the tablet disappear. The result is an unusually slim, well-built platform for the best array of apps in the business," writes Sascha Segan.

The Verge - "The iPad Air is playing in a entirely different league than its competitors," writes Nilay Patel.

Electronista - "The Apple iPad Air has redefined the standard for a full size tablet once again. Just like the iPhone 5s, the iPad Air takes a generational leap forward in performance, except it also comes in an all-new package that is dramatically thinner and lighter. The new design is such an improvement over the previous model that is almost as though Apple has jumped two-generations ahead in one fell swoop," writes Sanjiv Sathiah.

Ars Technica - "The iPad Air is best summarized as either a big iPad mini or a fourth-generation iPad that decided to lose weight, get fit, and turn its life around. The reduced size and weight eliminate the biggest trade-off you'd need to make to choose a full-size iPad over the iPad mini, and as others have noted, it makes the big iPad and the small iPad feel like members of the same product family rather than tablets with Apple logos on them that happen to run the same operating system and applications," writes Andrew Cunningham.

Apple Insider - "It's hard to find flaws with the iPad Air. If the iPad mini's 7.9-inch screen is a little too cramped for you, and you prefer the larger display of a full-size tablet, the iPad Air is an easy recommendation," writes Neil Hughes & Mikey Campbell.

Laptop Magazine - "The iPad Air's jaw-droppingly compact design, faster performance and excellent endurance -- combined with the best app selection -- make this the tablet to beat," writes Michael A. Prospero.

iLounge – "A comprehensively superior replacement for 2012's third- and fourth-generation iPads, packing almost twice as much horsepower and noteworthy extra battery life into a considerably narrower and lighter body," writes Jeremy Horwitz.

Update 2: Here's one final review from Macworld for our iPad Air review roundup.

Macworld - "The iPad was already the best large tablet out there. If it had any deficiencies, it was really in terms of weight and size, and that’s where the iPad Air shines. It's still got a battery that will last for 10 hours, and now it's twice as fast as it was before, opening the door for even more apps that can boost personal productivity or just entertain you that much faster," writes Jason Snell.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2078.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chance to hold an iPad Air yesterday. All I can say is ... If you are on the fence about upgrading, don't pick one up. You'll buy it. Smile
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one on Friday. I like it more than any other iPad I've owned to this point. It feels great in your hands, not all that much larger than the iPad mini, and performs like a champ. The speakers are also a major upgrade in my opinion. They are much richer with true stereo sound. I also think the cameras are much improved with their light gathering abilities. I'm just really happy with the product. Beyond Touch ID and being even faster, I'm not sure how Apple improves on it.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: MM Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I had the chance to hold an iPad Air yesterday. All I can say is ... If you are on the fence about upgrading, don't pick one up. You'll buy it. Smile
Would you take it over a Mac Mini I ask you?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed around with one at the Apple Store. It's a nice one indeed. I'm still on the fence though trying to decide between it and the new Retina mini.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are new reviews of the iPad Air from PC Magazine, The Verge, Electronista, Ars Technica, Apple Insider, Laptop Magazine and iLounge.

PC Magazine - "The iPad Air is Apple's attempt to make the tablet disappear. The result is an unusually slim, well-built platform for the best array of apps in the business," writes Sascha Segan.

The Verge - "The iPad Air is playing in a entirely different league than its competitors," writes Nilay Patel.

Electronista - "The Apple iPad Air has redefined the standard for a full size tablet once again. Just like the iPhone 5s, the iPad Air takes a generational leap forward in performance, except it also comes in an all-new package that is dramatically thinner and lighter. The new design is such an improvement over the previous model that is almost as though Apple has jumped two-generations ahead in one fell swoop," writes Sanjiv Sathiah.

Ars Technica - "The iPad Air is best summarized as either a big iPad mini or a fourth-generation iPad that decided to lose weight, get fit, and turn its life around. The reduced size and weight eliminate the biggest trade-off you'd need to make to choose a full-size iPad over the iPad mini, and as others have noted, it makes the big iPad and the small iPad feel like members of the same product family rather than tablets with Apple logos on them that happen to run the same operating system and applications," writes Andrew Cunningham.

Apple Insider - "It's hard to find flaws with the iPad Air. If the iPad mini's 7.9-inch screen is a little too cramped for you, and you prefer the larger display of a full-size tablet, the iPad Air is an easy recommendation," writes Neil Hughes & Mikey Campbell.

Laptop Magazine - "The iPad Air's jaw-droppingly compact design, faster performance and excellent endurance -- combined with the best app selection -- make this the tablet to beat," writes Michael A. Prospero.

iLounge – "A comprehensively superior replacement for 2012's third- and fourth-generation iPads, packing almost twice as much horsepower and noteworthy extra battery life into a considerably narrower and lighter body," writes Jeremy Horwitz.
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one final review from Macworld for our iPad Air review roundup.

Macworld - "The iPad was already the best large tablet out there. If it had any deficiencies, it was really in terms of weight and size, and that's where the iPad Air shines. It's still got a battery that will last for 10 hours, and now it's twice as fast as it was before, opening the door for even more apps that can boost personal productivity or just entertain you that much faster," writes Jason Snell.
macfandave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Video samples worse than ipad 4 Reply with quote

From what I can make out from quite a few youtube video samples the video quality is noticeably lower quality than the ipad 4 which is disappointing

The ipad 4 has far better sharpness to the video compared with the air which also shows some awful compression which you just don't see with any of the ipad 4 samples I have seen anyway

It seems apple have had to compromise with the camera all for the sake of extra thinness and lightness and hope no one has noticed ?! Well I have, anyone agree ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: