123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No video from Mini A1176 after upgrading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diogones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: No video from Mini A1176 after upgrading Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have a Core Duo Mac Mini A1176 that I recently decided to upgrade. I swapped out the hard drive with an SSD, replaced the CPU with a 2.0 C2D, and upgraded the RAM to 3GB after flashing the firmware from 1,1 to 1,2.

After putting everything back together and switching the Mini on, however, I have no video. The Mini light turns on just fine, I do have keyboard input, and there is a normal startup chime. However, there is no output from the DVI port whatsoever.

I swapped the DVI cables, tried a different monitor, reset the PRAM, reset the SMC, and double-checked to ensure everything was assembled correctly. However, I still can't get any video. It is frustrating because I know the Mini works: all the functioning signs prove this; I just can't get the video to display.

I even put the Mini in Firewire Target Disk Mode, and the SSD appeared on the host Mac without issue.

I'm worried that a component on the logic board may have been broken off or damaged during the CPU upgrade, which is chancy anyway. I have done this upgrade before, but you never know.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done one in a while, but it sort of sounds like it could be the logic board. Especially considering the PRAM and SMC resets came up empty. You might try taking it apart one more time and reseating the RAM and checking all those connectors back on the audio interconnect board. You might also try pulling the PRAM battery and letting it sit for a while with everything unplugged.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea pull the pram battery and let it sit for a while and see if maybe after upgrading the machine the system could have just set the machine to to high of a resolution for your monitor
mubcl20

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This posting is marvelous and what a fantastic research that you have done. It has helped me a lot. thank you very much. Feel free to visit my buy portfolio lighting site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: