123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring data via thumb drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Transferring data via thumb drive Reply with quote

A friend recently requested that I use her new thumb drive to copy a LARGE amount of data from my computer so that I can share it with her; she lives several states away, and she chose the conveyance via thumb drive instead of FTP because it would be simpler for her.

The data collection I want to copy to the thumb drive includes large number of photos from my iPhoto library, as well as PowerPoint slideshows, TIFF image files, and other data. It will probably total 2 gigabytes or more. Some of this data dates back to 2007, so it has been accumulating for several years.

The thumb drive is brand-new, shipped to me still in its original sealed store packaging. It is a PNY 32 GB High Performance Flash Drive. There is a minor nomenclature in fine print on the packaging: 93000044F-F-32G. My iMac's "get info" window indicates the drive's format to be "MS-DOS (FAT32)" with a creation date of Dec. 31, 1969. (go figure)

Questions: If I use aftermarket software like iPhoto Library Manager to copy over key Events into a new iPhoto library on the PNY drive, will the drive's formatting ruin the metadata and/or anything else? Is there anything I can do to prevent problems? Should I reformat the drive?

MY HARDWARE:
iMac13,1 (late-2012 slimline iMac) Core i5 2.9 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

MY SOFTWARE:
MacOS 10.8, iLife 2011, Toast Titanium 9
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming she has a modern Mac or PC.

No need to reformat, just keep any individual file under 2GB
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone outside this forum suggested I use Disk Utility to re-format this thumb drive: "With FAT, you are at some risk of having file names that aren't compatible."

Is this a concern, and, if so, which settings should I use in Disk Utility to re-format the thumb?

Also: I believe she has a Mac.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use FAT on all my thumb drives. This allows the drive to be used in Windows and on the Mac.

In windows you see a lot of the hidden Mac OS X files such as .Trashes etc but other than that its works fine.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: