Joined: 28 Jun 2011
|Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 am Post subject: update
|A few months ago I discovered that with Winclone you can put a bootcamp installation on a second drive into UEFI. My base mac mini 2012 now boots in approx 17 seconds into windows 8.1. Have not had any issues with this.
edit: The steps to achieve this:
edit 2: this is for a third party SSD
- Install Windows 8.1 as normal through Bootcamp assistant and check it works.
Afterwards do the following:
- Boot in Windows
- Run msconfig (right click far left bottom corner of desktop then left click run, type msconfig).
- Click boot tab, mark safe boot, restart in OS X
- Under OS X apply patchedcode.bin. (use Google and search for the instructions for this)
- Reboot, Windows boots in safe mode.
- Run msconfig again, boot tab unmark safe boot, restart PC.
- Check in Windows that it is running in AHCI mode. (once again Google is your friend)
- Reboot in OS X
- Use Winclone to activate UEFI.
- Run MSinfo32 and under Boot you should see UEFI
edit 2: On the 2014 Mac mini and on the same SSD drive as OS X I did a restore of the Windows 8.1 installation, switched it with Winclone version 4.4 in UEFI mode and then proceeded to install Windows 8.1 from the EFI install. Be carefull to select the EFI otherwise the standard windows install will change the whole SSD into MBR with all problems associated and requiring a restore from TimeMachine. PS The internet restore for Yosemite does not include all the extra software as pages, numbers.