123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I install anti-virus program ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know why everyone hammers Marv, but not the idiot who 99.9% of the time posts complete bs.

Reputation systems are prone to abuse and unless everyone uses them, they really are pointless. I would rather not have to evaluate every post I see to see if it's worthwhile or worthless.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I really don't know why everyone hammers Marv, but not the idiot who 99.9% of the time posts complete bs.

Thanks Smithcraft, I thought we were friends Wink

At a previous computer store I worked at, one of the golden rules was...

"know what you know, know what you don't know... and never misrepresent"

Marv, often comes off as an expert, when he is still in the learning stages as many of us are. I'm not claiming I'm an expert either, but I know my boundaries. Perhaps prefacing statements with "I think... I'm not an expert but..., from what I understand..., in my opinion... you may want to get a second opinion..." you get it.

This is a social forum, and honestly the post count is way down from what it used to be, so I wish more people would post. The last thing we want to do is discourage people from posting in fear that they may be attacked for doing so.

I think Marv is harmless. I congratulate him on 500 posts. Thanks for being part of the community.

Perhaps our energies would be better focused attacking the issues at hand rather than one another. Even though the odd personal battle spices things up once in a while. This is a pretty tame forum overall. That's why we come here.

macmini2012 (the original poster) is probably scratching his/her head now, still wondering if they should install antivirus software, but they are scared to comment Smile
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Post Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

Thanks Smithcraft, I thought we were friends Wink

At a previous computer store I worked at, one of the golden rules was...

"know what you know, know what you don't know... and never misrepresent"

Marv, often comes off as an expert, when he is still in the learning stages as many of us are. I'm not claiming I'm an expert either, but I know my boundaries. Perhaps prefacing statements with "I think... I'm not an expert but..., from what I understand..., in my opinion... you may want to get a second opinion..." you get it.

This is a social forum, and honestly the post count is way down from what it used to be, so I wish more people would post. The last thing we want to do is discourage people from posting in fear that they may be attacked for doing so.

I think Marv is harmless. I congratulate him on 500 posts. Thanks for being part of the community.

Perhaps our energies would be better focused attacking the issues at hand rather than one another. Even though the odd personal battle spices things up once in a while. This is a pretty tame forum overall. That's why we come here.

macmini2012 (the original poster) is probably scratching his/her head now, still wondering if they should install antivirus software, but they are scared to comment Smile
Iam a novice and I never said I was an expert at anything I did in my life. At 69 years old your knowledge starts to repeat itself which is the part of growing older in life.Thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I think I've seen Marv be an expert on is the poor state of electrical service in the Philippines! I can't recall ever seeing him be belligerent or hostile.

Trust me, I think I know what I know, and I certainly don't know what I don't know, but I do know that most newer things in OS X are beyond me as I'm still using 10.5 for my daily mini.

However those rules are too complicated for me! When I worked in retail, the rule was "The customer is always right."

Sure Bill, if I was in your neck of the woods I'd love to buy you a pint! Very Happy

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Should I install anti-virus program ? Reply with quote

I think its time to go back to the point of the macmini2012's question

macmini2012 wrote:
Should I install anti-virus program in MAC OS 10.8 ?
If YES, any recommendation ?
Thanks!

My preference is not to, all I do is occasionally scan with iAntivirus which as stated above hasn't been updated in a long time. Why? probably because they don't need too.

One point I didn't mention was that I do scan all media before adding it to a windows environment. I have a couple of external drives which I use at work (windows) which I bring home every few weeks to backup to my system. I also take advantage of having them at home and use them to backup my Mac data as well.

These drives gets scanned as soon as I'm back in work by the corporate antivirus. I do this just incase my Mac is carrying a windows virus.

The Mac backups are on a Mac OS Extended Journaled partition which doesn't show up at work. This partition contains a single encrypted sparse disk image bundle. Inside of which is all my hidden data. The partition and encrypted image mean my Mac files aren't viewable from windows.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I certainly don't know what I don't know

"Know what you don't know" is a funny statement.

As a manager the first thing I mention to new staff is that you'll never learn everything. Pick something you like and become very good at it. ie. back-up solutions, iPhone cases... whatever.
Learn how to use your resources effectively. GSX, Apple Training and most important... your co-workers. Between us, we usually always come up with a solution for the client.

One thing I know I'm not good at is music/Garageband and point of sale systems (Lightroom), but we have a reps that specialize in both. Normally I'll have them assist the client, while I listen in and learn.
I could fumble my way through, but I know my limitations.

Today we have an evil resource called the internet. It's funny how some people have become experts on EVERYTHING in life because of it. From medical treatment to fixing your computer to how to engineer the Hoover Dam, they know it all.

The internet is a fun place, but as you mentioned tread lightly and take what you read with a grain of salt.

I'll take you up on a beer anytime... but it will have to be a rootbeer Wink
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: true Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
The only thing I think I've seen Marv be an expert on is the poor state of electrical service in the Philippines! I can't recall ever seeing him be belligerent or hostile.

Trust me, I think I know what I know, and I certainly don't know what I don't know, but I do know that most newer things in OS X are beyond me as I'm still using 10.5 for my daily mini.

However those rules are too complicated for me! When I worked in retail, the rule was "The customer is always right."

Sure Bill, if I was in your neck of the woods I'd love to buy you a pint! Very Happy

SC
That is right the internet connections and electrical power are pathetic here. Luck though I did not get hurt or my wife in the earthquake we had last week.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: true Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
That is right the internet connections and electrical power are pathetic here. Luck though I did not get hurt or my wife in the earthquake we had last week.

Glad to hear you and your wife are okay.

My GF is from the Philippines. She has plenty of family there. Everyday, we are thankful she is here.

To get to Canada, she first had to live in Singapore for 2 years doing hard manual labour processing hides at an alligator processing plant. She then came to Canada by herself, with 5 dollars in her pocket and had to work as a nanny for a couple more years. I don't think she even left the house.

This is part of the reason I'm not too sympathetic towards people who complain about Apple taking too long to come out with the newest ______ (fill in the blank). 1st world problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: