123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I install anti-virus program ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macmini2012

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Should I install anti-virus program ? Reply with quote

Should I install anti-virus program in MAC OS 10.8 ?

If YES, any recommendation ?

Thanks!
MrMini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Virus Reply with quote

clamXav free and works great..
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't waste your time with anti-virus. I've never had an issue after years and years with OS X. Just make sure that you keep up with your updates from Apple. Especially if you're using or rely on Java
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I install anti-virus program ? Reply with quote

macmini2012 wrote:
Should I install anti-virus program in MAC OS 10.8 ?

If YES, any recommendation ?

Thanks!
Yes I would. better to be safe than sorry. I use Sophos which is really good and free also.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bother as I think antivirus apps are the biggest source of slow downs on computer systems. The risk on the mac is low enough that I don't yet consider it necessary. I've been a Mac user for nearly 7 years now and never had a problem.

Last year I did start to occasionally scan my system with Norton iAntivirus, this only runs when I start it and once its scanned I close it. Its been a long time since they updated it though so I'm not sure how useful it is really.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: virus Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I don't bother as I think antivirus apps are the biggest source of slow downs on computer systems. The risk on the mac is low enough that I don't yet consider it necessary. I've been a Mac user for nearly 7 years now and never had a problem.

Last year I did start to occasionally scan my system with Norton iAntivirus, this only runs when I start it and once its scanned I close it. Its been a long time since they updated it though so I'm not sure how useful it is really.
You are lucky .
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: virus Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
You are lucky .

Luck has nothing to do with it, sensible browsing and being aware of the OS and potential risks has much more to do with it. I also have a rigorous backup system but have never needed it yet in 7 years. So I haven't a clue what your "You are Lucky" is aimed at.

What is it with you and your scare mongering and going off half cocked posts. I really do wish you would just shut up some times. Twisted Evil

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: virus Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
marv777 wrote:
You are lucky .

Luck has nothing to do with it, sensible browsing and being aware of the OS and potential risks has much more to do with it. I also have a rigorous backup system but have never needed it yet in 7 years. So I haven't a clue what your "You are Lucky" is aimed at.

What is it with you and your scare mongering and going off half cocked posts. I really do wish you would just shut up some times. Twisted Evil

Perhaps backing generalized statements with facts or stating that it's an opinion, would be a better way to keep everyone happy Smile

I've never seen a computer with a virus in our service department, but I'm open to an education any day of the week,
Malware yes, but that's an entirely different than a virus.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did a virus become not a subset of malware?

I have used an sort of anti-virus stuff on my Macs since John Norstad stopped updating Disinfectant.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
When did a virus become not a subset of malware?

It is, but that doesn't make them the same and antivirus software doesn't protect you from yourself.

From Wikipedia:
Malware includes computer viruses, ransomware, worms, trojan horses, rootkits, keyloggers, dialers, spyware, adware, malicious BHOs, rogue security software and other malicious programs; the majority of active malware threats are usually worms or trojans rather than viruses.

Also from Wikipedia:
Theoretically, other operating systems are also susceptible to viruses, but in practice these are extremely rare or non-existent, due to much more robust security architectures in Unix-like systems (including Linux and Mac OS X) and to the diversity of the applications running on them.[19] There are no known viruses that have spread "in the wild" for Mac OS X.

I like this simple definition of a virus:
A virus is executable code that attaches itself to a program or file so that it can spread from one Mac to another. "In the wild" means it has infected, or is currently infecting, new machines through normal day-to-day usage.

SOooooooooo:
Please anyone who currently has a Mac virus or knows the name of a Mac virus that is currently "in the wild", tell me the name of it.
Virus protection software does very little to protect you from viruses that do not yet exist. So what are you being protected from.

Saying: you're lucky you've never had a Mac virus is like saying you're lucky Bigfoot hasn't attacked you while you were camping.

Bottom line:
If you want to install antivirus software, go ahead. Today's systems have adequate resources. Installing them isn't really going to impact performance. It's also socially responsible as you may pass a PC virus onto a PC user as opposed to identifying the virus and stopping it in its tracks.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: virus Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
marv777 wrote:
You are lucky .

Maybe he got up on the wrong side of the bed.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: virus Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:

or maybe he's just fed up of reading your one line nonsense posts. Twisted Evil

marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: virus Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
marv777 wrote:

or maybe he's just fed up of reading your one line nonsense posts. Twisted Evil
Another grouch we have I see! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always championed sensible usage of the interwebs. Know where you are going and what you are doing.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a forum that I once frequented, under the users profile there was a feature called "rep power" for reputation.
If a member gave good sound advise/comments you could give them points.
So if a member had 1000 posts and very few points you knew that they were a troll, full of crap or a nut job.
I think a system like this is great. It keeps the forum interesting and it allows members to express like/dislike without getting too personal.

Perhaps 123macmini could implement something like this, someday.

BTW with the current system we have in place, Marv gets gold status with 1 more post Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: