123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ready to switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yardbird

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: ready to switch Reply with quote

Been using linux since 2005. Jumped off of the windows wagon. Tired of fiddling. Researched a bit and found that most of what I do now with a computer is already in a new Mac. I used to play MMORPGs, but I don't game much at all any more. I do have 3 programs that need to run in Windows. One collects data from my medical equipment and makes settings changes to it as directed. Another is used to program my remote for our AV system (URC MX-980 remote), and a third one is to program my lighting controls (Insteon). I've installed those programs on an old Dell XPS M1710 laptop, but I may end up installing Parallels for convenience. None of those programs gets run often. But when you need them, you need them.

I'm fortunate to have friends who work within Apple so I'll be getting a friends and family discount. I'm leaning toward the (current) middle of the Mac mini line-up. But with this Apple event coming up and some possibility that the Mac mini might get a Haswell refresh, I'm holding off ordering until next week at least. I think the current models would be fine, but I would kick myself if I bought one today and they updated next week. I'm retired from a university IT position and I don't think the geek part ever retires. Smile

My old Dell ZinoHD is dying.... slowly. It's been a great little linux box, but it's time to move on. Been brushing up on OS X and how to use it and it really all kinda makes sense to me. So while I may still have some really dumb questions later, I think the switch from linux to OS X will be rather painless. And I'm looking forward to it.

So.... I'm kinda in Limbo right now.... waiting....
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Glad you've taken an interest in the mini. It's a great system!

Let us know if you have an questions.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MrMini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to Mac this year from Linux/windows..and it is great.. you will never go back..if you still need windows, you can use bootcamp to install it..no more constant downloads..no virus, no malware..
yardbird

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: pulled the trigger Reply with quote

ok,so there was no Haswell refresh Tuesday. I had been waiting on the off chance that there might be, but.... wasn't a deal breaker.

So last night I ordered a 2.3GHz i7 Mac mini.
Then I ordered a 16GB kit from Crucial.
I had a gift card on my Amazon account that I hadn't used up and some points, so I bought the Apple wireless keyboard through Amazon (Prime, so 2 day shipping free) and my out-of-pocket for that was $1.62.
I already have a new trackpad sitting here that I bought from a friend, brand new, never used, for about half the cost of a new one.

Having retired from a university IT position I know you can waste a lot of time waiting for the "latest and greatest" only to have something better come out shortly afterwards.

So.... here we go, folks. An old guy who left Windows back in 2005 to run linux full time, switching to a Mac. Smile Should be fun to watch.. heheheh
MrMini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: pulled the trigger Reply with quote

yardbird wrote:
ok,so there was no Haswell refresh Tuesday. I had been waiting on the off chance that there might be, but.... wasn't a deal breaker.

So last night I ordered a 2.3GHz i7 Mac mini.
Then I ordered a 16GB kit from Crucial.
I had a gift card on my Amazon account that I hadn't used up and some points, so I bought the Apple wireless keyboard through Amazon (Prime, so 2 day shipping free) and my out-of-pocket for that was $1.62.
I already have a new trackpad sitting here that I bought from a friend, brand new, never used, for about half the cost of a new one.

Having retired from a university IT position I know you can waste a lot of time waiting for the "latest and greatest" only to have something better come out shortly afterwards.

So.... here we go, folks. An old guy who left Windows back in 2005 to run linux full time, switching to a Mac. Smile Should be fun to watch.. heheheh

you will be glad that you don't have all the downloads all the time..it's rock solid as Linux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: