123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Holding Media Event on October 22nd
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Apple Holding Media Event on October 22nd Reply with quote

Apple Holding Media Event on October 22nd
Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple sent out invitations today for a special media event to be held on Tuesday, October 22nd. The event will take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, California. It's scheduled to begin at 10:00 AM Pacific Time / 1:00 PM Eastern Time. The invitations for the event simply read, "We still have a lot to cover." It's widely expected that Apple will be launching new iPads, OS X Mavericks, and Mac Pros at the event.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2070.html
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about an iPad mini with a retina display for me. I think it's the best tablet form factor out there. A better screen makes it just about perfect.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
It's all about an iPad mini with a retina display for me. I think it's the best tablet form factor out there. A better screen makes it just about perfect.

I'd be amazed if Apple offer a Retina display iPad mini at the current price. I can't see it happening though. The price will go up.
It will be interesting to see what happens if it does, and the full sized iPad goes down in size.

Last year the $329 iPad mini was like the Cabbage Patch doll during the Christmas season. Everybody wanted one and there wasn't enough to go around. Nobody wanted to buy the $429 model. Lots were in stock throughout the distribution channel, you could hardly give them away.
The iPad mini was the most price sensitive Apple product I have ever seen.

Retina at the same price would be awesome, but a huge blow to price sensitive consumers if not.

My guess is it will go Retina and it's not going to sell well if the price goes up and Apple slims down the full sized iPad. The full sized iPad will take the sales.
This may be an interesting marketing strategy that Apple will employ. Similar to the iPhone 5C 5S. For just another $100 I get this...
Of course most people spend the extra $100. The extremely price sensitive consumer (who Apple never really caters to) can stick with a Kindle.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: MM Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
What about a new mac Mini coming out? Question
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Google forced Apple's hand with the new Nexus 7. Now that's being followed up by Amazon putting high resolutions screens in the new Kindle Fire. Both were forced to raise prices though. I like Bandit Bill am thinking that Apple will raise prices on the iPad mini. I also think they will be really hard to get your hands on between now and Christmas.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MM Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:

I'm thinking early next year. Perhaps with styling in some way similar to the new Mac Pro.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: MM Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:

marv777 wrote:
Do you think the Mac Mini will be phased out in 2014?

Confused Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One iPad mini with retina please! Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
My guess is it will go Retina and it's not going to sell well if the price goes up and Apple slims down the full sized iPad. The full sized iPad will take the sales.

I definitely like the larger screen. If the general size is about the same, I would just go with the full size model. I'm also thinking it will have better all around specs and perhaps Touch ID, which requires the A7 chip.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I definitely like the larger screen. If the general size is about the same, I would just go with the full size model. I'm also thinking it will have better all around specs and perhaps Touch ID, which requires the A7 chip.

I'm not sure who is buying the mini these days, but I find the majority of customers that I deal with (90%) want the bigger 9.7" display and they buy the full sized iPad because of it.
I know a lot of people on online forums say the mini is the perfect form factor, but my personal experience in sales says otherwise.

Christmas time last year was an entirely different story though. It was all about the $329 price point of the mini. It was a smokin' hot seller.
It will be interesting to see what Apple does this Christmas to drive sales.
Christmas shoppers are extremely price sensitive.

I'm very excited about this Tuesday's event. I might trade my iPad 3 in for an iPad 5, but it would have to be substantially lighter for me to make the move. I like the iPad 3 for the 30 pin connector and the Retina. I have a nice smart cover and an Incase back cover. Lots of 30 pin cables, car chargers etc. If I had an iPad 1 or 2 the upgrade would be a given.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I find the majority of customers that I deal with (90%) want the bigger 9.7" display and they buy the full sized iPad because of it.

I think I would agree. I have an iPad and an iPhone and I find the phone is too small for comfortable use especially when browsing. On the other hand I think the iPad is great but yet it's too bulky to carry around all the time. I thought a Mini would be a huge success being in the middle ground, but its probably still too large to carry around all the time and the screen is a shrunken ipad, so in my view the Mini is just a compromise.

Now all we need is a 15" iPad Maxi laptop killer Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more information about maverick but i don't think a release its way to unstable right now the developers version has gone through 8 dev previews and the so called gold master was missing programs with a installer bug that wouldn't allow them to be installed or run for that matter so until i see 10.9.1 i am not interested in updating at all...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I find the majority of customers that I deal with (90%) want the bigger 9.7" display and they buy the full sized iPad because of it.

I think I would agree. I have an iPad and an iPhone and I find the phone is too small for comfortable use especially when browsing. On the other hand I think the iPad is great but yet it's too bulky to carry around all the time. I thought a Mini would be a huge success being in the middle ground, but its probably still too large to carry around all the time and the screen is a shrunken ipad, so in my view the Mini is just a compromise.

Now all we need is a 15" iPad Maxi laptop killer Razz

I don't leave the house without my full sized iPad, but I don't have an iPhone. I keep it in a plain black neoprene sleeve, so nobody really has a clue that it's an iPad if I take it into a coffee shop or something unless I'm using it.
I have no issues traveling with it. That's why I'd have to see a substantial weight savings to upgrade being I already have a a Retina display.
A mini with retina may very well appeal to me, but I'd have to see it and I'm doubtful. I find th full sized iPad screen to be small at times. Not all content can be blown up and so e stuff gets pretty small as is,
yardbird

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an iPad (My wife does). I have an Android tablet. I'm going to be ordering my first Apple computer probably next week. I'm getting a Mac mini. I'm coming from linux (since 2005) and since retiring, the way I use the computer has changed. I don't care to fiddle with linux any more. And lookig at OS X, it looks logical and ....

anyways, I'm waiting until next week on the off chance that the Mac mini will get a refresh. Even a silent one. I'd hate to order one today only to have a new model come out next week. Might happen. Might not. I understand. And I honestly think I'd be fine with the current model if there's no change after Tuesday's event. I'm leaning toward the middle level model. Not the lowest and not the highest.

My wife's iPad is the iPad 2 (I'm pretty sure). If it does everything she wants, why would she upgrade? I guess I don't "get it" yet in that regard. She's not going to use it as a camera. It's too big and clunky for that and she has a 12 mp camera that she likes so... a better camera is kind of a non-issue. Better display? There's a point of diminishing returns on these tiny, tiny displays. ESPECIALLY for those of us in our late 50's/early 60s. A finer pixel pitch on a 10 inch screen is just not that noticeable to us. It IS noticeable on a 55 inch TV Smile

I'm retired from a university IT position where I configured and purchased the departmental equipment. Everything from laptops and desktops, to handheld devices, all the way to large servers and the "heavy iron" pieces of networking gear. 20 years ago I was an Apple hater. But Apple has changed and so have I. I look forward to this event as much as I look forward to buying my first Apple computer. I'm excited about both.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yardbird,
You sound like the perfect candidate for conversion. You'll love your new mini. Yes the middle model with the quad core is the best bang for the buck.

As far as displays go, once you go retina you'll never go back to non retina products. It's like moving to HD TV even on a 9.7" display, it makes a huge difference. The worse your eyes get, the more you appreciate a retina display.
Go to NYTimes.com on an iPad 2 the do the same on a retina display. You will instantly see a notable difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: