123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini As A True Audiophile Source Component
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sxty8goats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My digital 'audiophile' set up is in my office at work. It is actually my best sounding system and I was quite surprised by that.

Win7 machine feeding MP3's and Flac to a

HRT Musicstreamer II+ DAC

into a 70's era Pioneer SX3700 receiver

then through a pair of Martin & Logan Motion 4 speakers and a small sub.

I expected pretty good sound. The tweeters in the Motion series are amazing. But I got great sound. Wide detailed sound stage with actual depth. Closing my eyes and sitting back results in a perceived tripling of the size of my office. Smile

I'm in the process of adding a Mac Mini at home to serve music and movies to my home theater. I also hope to be able to rip LPs from my analog only stereo set up. Thinking/hoping I can use garage band to do so. Eventually reducing my system down to the single HT receiver at home. Too many systems in my little apartment right now. Smile
sxty8goats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using to rip SACD? I have a few that I'd like to transfer.
Fred76

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point of using a Mac Mini as the source of an audiophile setup, if that would be its primary use.

Not a single component of the Mini is usable, so you basically have to just transport the digital signal through HDMI or optical to an external DAC, next to an audiophile grade (headphone) amp.
You can use an Apple TV, or an iPad with USB camera connector for that purpose too.
Denon AVR-3312 with Airplay
hoka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a whole world to discover in this area using software like "Amarra", "Pure Music" ( http://www.channld.com/puremusic/index.html ) "Audirvana" or "Fidelia"
Or using a script to disable all but the necessities for audio playback: ( http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/computer-audio-design-osx-audio-optimization-script-18128/ )

You can create active crossovers and do all sorts of things like room correction that would otherwise be wildly expensive!

This forum is a good starting place:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: