123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

God Help me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: God Help me Reply with quote

I had to use the old windows laptop tonight and I was trying to install Windows Security Essentials from Cnet and it installed 3 spam programs and took over my toolbar..what a POS Windows PC are..
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate those toolbars!

The thing I still can't figure out, is why is Windows so damn slow?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spybot Search and Destroy is a good tool for removing them.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Format c:" is better Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up building and repairing computers a long time ago, and the switch to Mac meant I rarely had to fiddle.

This week I've been asked to look at two laptops. One was Windows 7 Acer and the other a 2.16 Ghz Black Macbook.

The Windows one took forever, all it just needed was a factory restore after being hit by viruses and the usual windows slow down. The hidden partition contained the O/S so all it took was a quick keypress and then selecting the restore. It failed the first time and gave an error at the end. Second attempt was more successful but I think it must have then took me about 5 days on and off and probably around 36 hours of apply updates and patches and then doing more updates in what seemed like a never ending task, and then just as I thought I was finished Micorosoft Mail crashed whilst I was setting up the mail .... On a brand new clean system Sad So it was time to either start again or as I did just installed Thunderbird and give it them back. What a nightmare of a job. Never again will I do a windows machine for someone.

The Macbook on the other hand had a hardware fault so was going to much tricker. I gave it a quick boot up, no HDD found. Surprisingly I also suspected there was a disk stuck in the drive, which turned out to be an iMac restore disk. I removed that, and then stuck in my Snow Leopard OS jumped into Disk Utility and diagnosed a faulty HDD. I removed then drive from the macbook and tried it in my dock no joy. Total time so far about 10 minutes. I then ordered an SSD from Crucial which arrived early the next day. This was quickly installed into the Macbook, and had Snow Leopard back up and running 25 minutes later. I then downloaded the 10.6.8 Combo and had it all completed within the hour. EASY

Cool Evil or Very Mad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
MrMini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy with my Mac..if more people would try it they would never go back..
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMini wrote:
I am so happy with my Mac..if more people would try it they would never go back..

I still use Windows on an all-in-one, but I totally agree. What surprises me though is that Apple has stalled once again in growing market share. Then again, it's pretty much all about the iPhones and iPads anymore. They are nice devices, but still not as complete as OS X for everyday computing in my eyes.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
They are nice devices, but still not as complete as OS X for everyday computing in my eyes.

+1,000,000!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Reply with quote

MrMini wrote:
Good slogan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: