123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mp4 and some avi tv shows won't play on Plex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: mp4 and some avi tv shows won't play on Plex Reply with quote

I just moved my 2009 mini to my TV today and installed Plex (client and server) on it. It seems to import most of my pictures and music OK, but is being very selective about what it "sees" from my TV episodes. All of the shows I have on my mini are from the Primeval and Primeval New World series; the former are all in avi format and the latter are all in mp4 format except for one avi. When the folders for each annual series are scanned, Plex only picked up about 20% of the episodes, none of which were mp4's. In case this matters, the folders are all in the Movies folder of my mini. All of these episodes are watchable on QuickTime or VLC, but I was hoping to set this up using the Plex screen only. Any idea what the problem might be? For what it's worth, this is the first time I ever tried running a computer as HTPC.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first question is: Why are you putting TV shows in the movie folder?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have major issues with the plex scrapper and my movies, finally gave up and went to XBMC and haven't looked back. That said you need to understand the requirements of each, naming conventions as well as folders (if needed) for things to work correctly.

What codec was used for the files? If it's not standard you either need the codec installed or VLC.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Smithcraft, big problem here based on what Fox says is that TV Shows are in the Movie folder.

As far as the scraper for Plex, name movies exactly as you see them either at IMDB or TMDb, I always include the year as well, and TV shows exactly as they appear at the TVDB . Can't think of any time that I've had an issue with a movie or TV show scraping as long as the basic rules are followed
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing only!!!

Do you have the plugins installed for mp4 with divx for most videos tv shows and others this is what you need in order to get it you have to have vlc installed and plex edited to use vlc plugins
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Smithcraft & ez, are you suggesting that the problem is the folder I put these shows in? I can certainly try moving them if that is the case. The reason I put them there is that I have no downloaded movies, only these two series and there is no special folder set up for TV shows. They were not obtained from iTunes, so they do not show up there either.

Y-Guy, all of the files are avi or mp4, but I don't know what particular codec VLC or QuickTime uses when it plays them. I don't have much knowledge in this area, and this is the first time I ever tried to set up a computer to work as an HTPC.

This issue may be moot pretty soon, as I have only 4 shows left to play in the most recent series (Primeval New World) and I can play them from VLC. However, as I am setting this up for the first time, I would like to have something in place to serve me well in the future.

As for Plex vs XMBC, the latter picks up the files, but doesn't seem to be as well set up as Plex in other ways. The interface has a bunch of categories go across the screen instead of vertically, and XMBC seems to lack the access to streaming content of interest to me (e.g. Canadian stations like CBC, CTV and Global). Perhaps there are interface options and access to content I don't know about on XMBC; I didn't research it carefully when I installed it.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Plex looks for movies in the folder you designate as movies and TV in the folder designated for that. It will sometimes scrape with things mixed up, but they really need to be separate. Naming as I mentioned is also important. Variance to these basics leads to no joy.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you set the folders up to store the media you let Plex know if the folder is going to be storing Movies or TV Shows, its at this stage it decides which scrapper to use and also which online service to use for the lookups of the media info. If you put your TV shows in the movies folder it basically doesn't know how to handle the file naming or where to look for the info on the show. So may check the Movie Database for info on TV shows. Some shows may be listed and work but others won't.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure enough, I pulled the TV episodes out of the Movies folder and into a "TV shows" folder and it worked. Thanks everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: