123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Settling In with MacOS 10.8 - weird little issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Settling In with MacOS 10.8 - weird little issues Reply with quote

A few months ago, my aging MacBook Pro suddenly and unceremoniously died on me. Money being as tight as it is, I was forced to hastily buy a refurbished late-2012 Core i5 iMac (21.5-inch, 2.9 GHz, 8 GB RAM) direct from Apple. While I do miss the portability, I have gained a much more powerful machine with a much larger screen. (My old MacBook Pro was a 15-inch Core2Duo 2.33 GHz, running MacOS 10.6.8 on only 2 GB of RAM)

One of the challenges I've found is dealing with the newer-generation of technology. Between having my first encounter with MacOS 10.8 and all this speed, it's quite an eye-opener. I eventually retired the standard-equipment Apple Magic Mouse that came with the iMac (a very quirky device, to say the least) and replaced it with a refurbed Apple Magic Trackpad. (The trackpad reminds me of my favorite Kensington Turbo Mouse from the 1990s, only much nicer.) I have had a tiny problem: I can't seem to get a right-clicking technique to work with the trackpad. I tried using the "Trackpad" cdev in Prefs, and I cannot get tapping in the lower-right-corner to work. Tapping there simply causes the computer to respond like a standard left-click. The weird thing is, I can invoke the standard left-clicking function by tapping in the lower-left-corner of the trackpad, no problem. What's up with this?

Another (very minor) problem: somehow I accidentally invoked something in Safari. I can't make it stop. While in Safari only, the menu bar and the Dock both hide unless I move the mouse over them. I do not know how to cancel this annoyance. What happened here?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put Safari into fullscreen mode.

Go up into the top right corner of the Safari webpage. On the menu bar in the right hand corner will be button with 2 arrows pointing toward one another. Click on the button to exit full screen mode.

You will find this feature in a few Apple apps.

RE: Trackpad. Something sound wrong. In system preferences > track pad. You should have an option to put secondary click > lower right hand corner.
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safari is not is fullscreen mode. I tried the fullscreen thing and revoked it, and the issue still persists.

Also tried the cdev issue of changing the right-click settings in Prefs. No response.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you purchased your computer within the last 90 days call AppleCare. It's a free call within 90 days. 3 yrs if you purchased AppleCare.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the track pad has major issues i would of just stuck with the magic mouse just because you can use a track pad doesn't mean you should
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

I'm not a great fan of the Track Pad over a mouse but I have had a track pad connected to my iMac since it came out and never had a problem with it. So I can't agree with that one macmanmacman.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
tom d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac User,

When Safari is open go to VIEW top left and uncheck hide menu bar, there are several other bars there you can check and uncheck for different bars. I am not an expert.

tom d
tom d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac User,

Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES it is the gear looking icon in the dock, open it, then find dock, click on it, see if there is a check mark next to hide dock, if there is, uncheck it and close SYS PREF, and see if it is there all the time.

tom d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: