123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought a Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshnjess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Just bought a Mac Mini Reply with quote

Hi guys, first post. I just bought a new Mac mini today. I've only really used Windows before. Got any good tips for me?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi joshnjess, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the switch to the mini.

My tips would be

1) find a forum and ask any questions you want help with. - well you've done that one already
2) check out http://www.screencastsonline.com I haven't used it for a while now but Don has some great videos for switches and on how to use the Mac.
Don's is a premium site where you pay a subscription for weekly videos. some are free though so check those out first. A good starting point is
http://www.screencastsonline.com/mac/category?tc=Mac%20Basics look for the three videos on Mac Basic's

{edit} I've just check ScreencastOnline and Don has updated the site and removed the links to all the older windows / Mac switcher videos which used to be free. Those Mac Basics ones look to be updates on the older ones and only episode 1 is free now. Sad http://www.screencastsonline.com/mac/show/0324/
Its still worth checking out though and his subscriptions service is well worth the money, he's been doing the videos every week for over 8 years so you get access to a lot of content. over 500 videos.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
joshnjess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cypher, I really appreciate it.

I checked out ScreenCasts and it looks really good. Only thing is, I don't really want to pay for anything right now. I mean there is a plethora if Mac information out there and pretty much all of it is free.

I'll check around and see what I can find.

P.S. just found out command - c, copies. I was a little worried at first, thought maybe a Mac couldn't copy n paste. lol duh... :p

[edit - did some searching]

Found some guides that really help explain Mac.

1. Tips for New Mac users

and

2. http://lifehacker.com/224674/hack-attack-a-guide-for-switching-to-a-mac

Anyone know of many any more guide like these?

Last edited by joshnjess on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple likes to use these slightly undecipherable images for certain keys on the keyboard. This link should list just about all of the main keyboard shortcuts:

http://www.danrodney.com/mac/index.html

I wish there was a printable version.

Another good source of information might very well be the New Users and Switchers section here at 123Macmini.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=54

Just incase you missed it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshnjess wrote:
I checked out ScreenCasts and it looks really good. Only thing is, I don't really want to pay for anything right now. I mean there is a plethora if Mac information out there and pretty much all of it is free.

Yes I agree.

Don's site used to have a lot of free stuff especially for switchers but its all changed since I was member. He used to do several free shows every month as well as premium ones. Thats what helped him get established but now everything seems to have gone money mad. Pay for Mac. Pay for Apps, Pay for iOS Crying or Very sad its a shame its all gone so corporate. The guy does a great job, and I know he has to make a living from it, but it all seems like he's gone a bit to gr$$dy now. I know I bailed and stop paying the subs when he stopped doing as many free shows and started charging for iOS and Mac as separate areas.

There should still be some free videos hidden in his back catalogue that would be worth checking out though.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
MrMini

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a Mac Mini Reply with quote

joshnjess wrote:
Hi guys, first post. I just bought a new Mac mini today. I've only really used Windows before. Got any good tips for me?

GOOD DEAL!!

I use Clamxav and CCleaner.....both free..

I have the Logitech Keyboard K750 and mouse M325 both work great....if your looking..

Backup your IPad and IPhone if you have one to your mini..

Ibank Works great..

Just don't go crazy and download apps that have not been checked out...OSX is the best OS out there..

I just put my mini in sleep mode at night, no need to turn off..

also to repair your mini:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on the "Support" section of Apple's website. That's where the manuals and video tutorials are.

Also keep in mind if you bought a new mini you have minimum 90 days phone support. People really underutilize Applecare. Without the covered phone support calls are $59 for each incident. You'd expect very good support for that price and you'll get it if needed.

Again under the "Support" section you can leave a request for a technician to call you at whatever time you choose. Of course it going to be a technician with a decent understanding of the topic at hand.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Mac World! You'll love it, I'm sure...

You can check out a few quick vids on my Company's YouTube Channel here

Also, for upgrades/specs/etc. the best resource out there for Mac's is OWC (Other World Computing) the company name is so fitting!

Also, most of the common keyboard short cuts are the same with the biggest difference being that on a Mac you use the "Command" button.

So here's a short list:

Command+C = Copy
Command+P = Print
Command+X = Cut
Command+V = Paste
Command+S = Save
Command+A = Select All

Hope this helps. You can always search this forum or ask a question. Someone will help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people greatly dislike OWC, and they've earned their reputation, but they are just about the only game in town for Mac stuff.

Another good store is PowerMax in Oregon.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Some people greatly dislike OWC, and they've earned their reputation, but they are just about the only game in town for Mac stuff.

Another good store is PowerMax in Oregon.

SC

If you get big enough there will always be someone who hates you.
I personally have no issues with OWC.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the only one they've screwed, so I know it wasn't just one customer to slip through the cracks.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I'm not the only one they've screwed, so I know it wasn't just one customer to slip through the cracks.

SC

I meant to communicate that I'm sure they have pissed off a few people. They are a big company, it's bound to happen.

I know for a fact that everyone in the company I work for (We resell Apple and Apple related products, including OWC products) does their best to provide exceptional customer service. If not they wouldn't be working for us. However, if you go to Yelp you will find a few people who think otherwise. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. We've had 3 formal complaints in 35 years. All have been resolved.

I'm sure from your experience and perhaps 1000's of others OWC sucks. It's bound to happen when you sell millions in dollars of products every month (88.3 million per annum).

On resellerratings.com OWC scores 9.89/10 based on 6917 reviews.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

SC

I meant to communicate that I'm sure they have pissed off a few people. They are a big company, it's bound to happen.

I know for a fact that everyone in the company I work for (We resell Apple and Apple related products, including OWC products) does their best to provide exceptional customer service. If not they wouldn't be working for us. However, if you go to Yelp you will find a few people who think otherwise. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. We've had 3 formal complaints in 35 years. All have been resolved.

I'm sure from your experience and perhaps 1000's of others OWC sucks. It's bound to happen when you sell millions in dollars of products every month (88.3 million per annum).

On resellerratings.com OWC scores 9.89/10 based on 6917 reviews.

yep, here's another positive vote for OWC. I've bought both as a regular customer and I have a wholesale account. I'd vote A+ on both counts....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
joshnjess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the tips everyone. Those are awesome. Checking them out right now!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that there are many satisfied customers for OWC, I'm just saying that they aren't all that awesome as they are continually made out to be.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: