123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starts "spinning the wheel" after an hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Doing some additional surfing I found this related thread that may help.

I also know that some SSD's are just finicky. Have you updated the firmware in the SSD itself?

You mentioned that the original install failed, that tells me there may be some sort of issue or compatibility issue with that particular SSD. Can you put a regular drive in it or even boot from an external drive to see if that eliminates the problem?

I also know that after you do an OS install on an SSD that it "locks" sectors and re-installing won't change them. The only way to 're-format' a SSD is by booting from another disk (external/optical/etc) and using the SSD manufacturers software to re-initialize the disk.

Keep us posted...

Thanks for your suggestions!

Finally some positive progress here: Today I installes OS X on an external HD and so far it's has been running for 8 hours without any problems at all - jubii Very Happy

A couple of things I need to test though before I can say with a 100% certainty that it's the SSD disk causing the problems:

- When installing OS X today I did not install the latest updates. Thinking back my problems started around the same time I did this - and I also installed the updates when I re-installed OS X on the SSD disk

- There is also one remote application not installed that may cause problems with the latest OS X update

I will test it during the weekend and let you know the outcome. Right now I'm just enjoying my mini - a bit slow but it doesn't freeze up.

Thanks again,
Mohano
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that it's not freezing but, I'd almost guarantee it's the firmware on the SSD. Update it and you'll be FLYING! Very Happy

Keep us posted on the progress...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mohano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update and a new issue...

I have been through a lot of challenges in getting a start-up flash/USB disk to upgrade the firmware. Every time I get the "permission denied".

Then today I borrowed a super drive and burned the update file to a cd - exactly like in this video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMyJuBSt4lc. Everything seems fine except that it stops at "Loading boot2880.img" and apparently doesn't recognize the SSD-drive...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Morten

mohano wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
Doing some additional surfing I found this related thread that may help.

I also know that some SSD's are just finicky. Have you updated the firmware in the SSD itself?

You mentioned that the original install failed, that tells me there may be some sort of issue or compatibility issue with that particular SSD. Can you put a regular drive in it or even boot from an external drive to see if that eliminates the problem?

I also know that after you do an OS install on an SSD that it "locks" sectors and re-installing won't change them. The only way to 're-format' a SSD is by booting from another disk (external/optical/etc) and using the SSD manufacturers software to re-initialize the disk.

Keep us posted...

Thanks for your suggestions!

Finally some positive progress here: Today I installes OS X on an external HD and so far it's has been running for 8 hours without any problems at all - jubii Very Happy

A couple of things I need to test though before I can say with a 100% certainty that it's the SSD disk causing the problems:

- When installing OS X today I did not install the latest updates. Thinking back my problems started around the same time I did this - and I also installed the updates when I re-installed OS X on the SSD disk

- There is also one remote application not installed that may cause problems with the latest OS X update

I will test it during the weekend and let you know the outcome. Right now I'm just enjoying my mini - a bit slow but it doesn't freeze up.

Thanks again,
Mohano
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'd suggest you contact the SSD makers support for more information. I wouldn't want to give information that could ultimately mess up your SSD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
papercut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be jumping in on this topic so late...

Do you happen to have iDrive or any other virtual storage connections? A few months ago my mini was virtually frozen with a spinning beachball as soon as I touched the Finder. Turned out to be the iDrive menubar app that auto-synched the files. As soon as I got rid of that the problems went away. iDrive works fine, just not the automatic part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: