123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unlocked iphone SIM card rate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: unlocked iphone SIM card rate Reply with quote

Hi, I am about to get an unlocked (don't like any carrier's contract scheme) iphone for mobile communication. Hope anyone here would share their carrier's sim card rate (or whatever the pay-by-use rate). Are carriers offering separate talk time rate and data/message rate?
Thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a T-Mobile ToGo phone. They've changed the setup a bit since I had that but, the more minutes you buy the better the deal.

It's still 1000 minutes for $100.

They now offer data but it looks like a pretty crappy deal. I rarely go over 200 MB a month, and their lowest data plan expires every 7 days.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

I had one of their Classic plans, but when the Value plans came out that was a much better deal for me. The 500min/Unlimited SMS/2 GB data for $50 was way better than the prior 500min/pay per SMS/200 MB for $50.

I think they did away with those plans when they went contract/plan "free."

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC,

According to the T-M plan list shown on your link site, they have 1500 min talk & texting + 30 MB data for $30 and unlimited talk & texting + 500 MB data for $50. These are all no-contract plan (require $10 nano sim card for iphone5). International call: $10 unlimited talk & texting

ATT's no-contract plans are all with unlimited texting. They offer an all-unlimited plan (2GB data) for $60 and unlimited talk & texting + wi-fi data only for $50. For $40 you get 500 min & unlimited texting + 200 MB data. International call: $5 for 250 min.

Sprint and Verizon are different type of network with weak international strength. Not so interested.

Anyone's comment?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what its like in the US but be careful with who you buy an unlocked iPhone from, and check the small print.

In the UK the Carphone Warehouse sell a sim free unlocked iPhone for the same price as the Apple store, but it comes with a catch. The phone will lock to the network of the first sim card you use in the phone Sad
The iPhone direct from Apple doesn't lock and you can fit any sim card at any time.

Check it out here.
Carphone Warehouse - Sim Free iPhone

look in the Overview section in the link above, and scroll down to the bottom after a section about iTunes. You should see this Shocked

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiat -

Just a thought as well, Apple have a media event planned for the 10th September where they will probably be announcing new iPhones so it might be worth holding off a while if your thinking of buying new.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher, I am aware of new iphone's coming. I am planning to get a new high end and per-choose a best service deal. It seems I'll go for T-M's unlimited talk &text + 500 MB data for $50/mo. It's interesting that the plan is the highest choice for no-contract, unlocked and is exactly the same as their lowest choice for contracted, locked phone. e.g., you buy a $600 unlocked iphone5 and choose the $30 plan (1500 min & text + 30 MB data) is almost the same as to buy $200 locked iphone5 and choose the $50 plan for 2 years. It seems to pay less in front and receive better service for a contract is better than the no-contract deal. Any comment?

Question: will T-M unlock your iphone when the contract is over? (either automatically or you have to request)

Update & correction: T-M has no "contract" plans with discounted iphone price. You can't buy a $200 locked iphone5 from either Apple or T-M. Only a $600 unlocked iphone5 works for T-M. Because of this, I may consider ATT's $200 locked iphone with its $50 plan (unlimited talk&text + wi-fi only data) Any thoughts?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT&T is pure evil!

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
AT&T is pure evil!

SC

Yeah, I think I have been tempted again! But where are good deals with good service?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on where you are, and what you use.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The verdict is out:

ATT: $200 locked new iphone, unlimited talk & texting + 300 MB data --> $70/Mo (2-y contract)

T-M: $650 (assumed) unlocked new iphone, unlimited talk&texting + 500 MB data --> $50/Mo (no contract)

The monthly charge difference $20 x 24 = $480 is greater than the phone price difference ($450).

I think I'll go with T-M and shun away the evil one. How would you choose?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go by past experience.

AT&T just about killed my business, by miss-managing my phone lines. It took six months for the Executive support people to respond to my complaint. That's quality service! Never will use AT&T again.

Sprint kept screwing up my billing when I was using their triple play service, and would terminate calls because the calling card was out of minutes. I wasn't using a calling card. Never will go with Sprint again.

Verizon lied to my mother about being able to hook up her rural cabin with DSL. When it didn't work as it was supposed to and she tired to cancel they wanted to bill her for a two years of service, and charge her for the equipment. Never will even think about Verizon if they are that crooked.

Only major carrier in the US that's left is T-Mobile. Only bad thing they've done so far is universally change everyone's billing date to the first of the month with out notice back when they were going to merge into AT&T.

I also don't like to make payments so I won't lease a phone. Therefore I would always consider the cost of the phone in a service.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, SC for sharing your life experience on phone service co. It seems the bigger the co is, the poorer service/performance it provides. I am still using att for home phone & internet service, though have had the same bad experience with them. Also had terrible experience on billing scam with sprint long while ago. Verizon is new and big (wireless), they have the same inferior network type as sprint (compare to att and T-M). I see that you don't desire the no-contract, lease phone term from T-M. So it leaves no major phone co for your pick? May be I found a best way (for me) to start my mobile phone adventure (can anyone imagine someone like me still don't use cellphone these days?): purchase iphone5s (16gb) from Apple for $650 (cash or 24-mo no interest financing) and enjoy the low service charge (the lower charge will surely recover your phone cost sooner than putting in service charge plus the better service) from T-M with no contract (change plan any mo or change carrier any time).

Find any flaw from my plan? I hope I make no big mistake this time (too many mistakes made with many phone co. before). Thanks for comments.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different plans work for different people. I like my plan, and overall I'm happy with T-Mobile. The billing date change was rude but it's minor to what other companies did. I guess it boils down to picking the least evil of the carriers?

The T-Mobile "No Contract" contract still has a 2 year requirement I believe. They should call it something else.

Another thing you can do to possibly reduce your bill is to see if the carrier offers a bulk discount with your employer. I think I get 10% off of my bill through this offer.

Otherwise, I was still using a landline till about two years ago. I had the TO-GO phone just for emergencies since it had no monthly fees.

One more thing to consider, is that I've heard the iPhone 5 is a data hog, so you might want to check up on that and see if it's true. That could put a kink in your plan, since TM will throttle your data after 500 MB on that plan.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
... overall I'm happy with T-Mobile. The billing date change was rude but it's minor to what other companies did. I guess it boils down to picking the least evil of the carriers?

I do too.

Quote:
The T-Mobile "No Contract" contract still has a 2 year requirement I believe. They should call it something else.

Not if you purchase an unlocked phone from other than T-M.

Quote:
Another thing you can do to possibly reduce your bill is to see if the carrier offers a bulk discount with your employer. I think I get 10% off of my bill through this offer.

Not for me -- I am retired.

Quote:
Otherwise, I was still using a landline till about two years ago. I had the TO-GO phone just for emergencies since it had no monthly fees.

I am still using landline only now, but thought a cellphone is definitely needed for emergency situation (especially away from home). Plus I like the convenient camera feature of smartphone for taking pictures any time, any place, any occasion. Also enjoy some 'modern' tech & app.

Quote:
One more thing to consider, is that I've heard the iPhone 5 is a data hog, so you might want to check up on that and see if it's true. That could put a kink in your plan, since TM will throttle your data after 500 MB on that plan.

Yeah, this could be a problem. But I do not plan to go web with my iphone much (too small screen for me). The only thing bother me is that using google map to aid car driving can draw a lot data (T-M told me so). I am wondering if I can find some app that provide driving route navigation completely through GPS and not require download data from internet?

Thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your retirement! Now I have an professor to help me with my mooculus work!

I believe there are numerous GPS apps available. I think they all use cloud based services rather than keep a map of your area in the phone. I don't know if the iOS version lets you do it, but the Android version of Googles mapping app lets you cache certain areas.

I think I do see a flaw in your system. Why buy a $650 iPhone 5s for an occasional device? A 4s is only $450 from Apple(maybe only $432 from TM). Or perhaps a used 4s from Swappa.com for even less? Or a quite fabulous Android phone?

I might also imagine that if you still have a business card you might be able to swing the bulk discount if it was available for your school. They were not very interested in verifying my employment, and I just used my bosses business card since I don't carry paystubs around.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: