123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac 24 died
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: iMac 24 died Reply with quote

I was having a great game of StarCraft when my 24" iMac just shut down. No poof of smoke, no sounds, just went dark. My battery back up was on and working fine. I've tried unplugging it for a hour, then over night - nothing. Button does push in, so I am left thinking that the power supply has died. Local shop wants $75 for diagnostics plus $120-180 for new power supply.

From experience does this sound like a PS issue or possibly more going on?

I going to run it in to get checked out but I know at some point it will make more sense to save up and buy a new iMac or Mini. Just trying to figure out what direction if this thing starts getting to expensive to repair, at some point I want to cut my loss.
MrMini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: IMac Reply with quote

look at these posts:

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31549&highlight=
MrMini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if you have to buy a new one get a Mac Mini too many problems with IMac..I had one..
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MrMini, I wish the Mini had a better graphic card - I don't think I want to be nailed down to a Intel 4000 at this time though. My iMac was limiting some software so the Mini would be an improvement but I'm unsure.

I dropped the imac off to the local service place for diagnostics - figured if its just the power supply ok, but if its more like the PS and logic board then I'll pull the HD from my iMac and see about parting it out and look at my options.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally a huge fan of both iMacs and Mac minis. To say iMacs have too many problems is a blanket statement. What specifically does that mean?

From my experience working at an Apple Authorized reseller/service center, my impression is that both are extremely reliable. Any issues that were common Apple has issued a recall notice for.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Any issues that were common Apple has issued a recall notice for.

Well there are a lot of people suffering with the same problem my iMac has had and Apple still refuse to except it. I for one lost all faith in Apple after that.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
Any issues that were common Apple has issued a recall notice for.

Well there are a lot of people suffering with the same problem my iMac has had and Apple still refuse to except it. I for one lost all faith in Apple after that.

What exactly is the problem? I'll run it by the guys in my service department and see what they have to say.

Btw if it's a common enough problem Apple may yet do a recall. Not all common issues involve recalls but if its large enough it might. I've seen more recalls from Apple than any other company in my lifetime and Apple products are notably reliable. If you lost faith in Apple I assume you have no faith in any company.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 20" iMac 2007 aluminium model. It works great most of the time but since 10.6.3 every update brings back a fault where I get random graphics freezes. It can happen straight at boot up or after 5 hours. Its completely random. To clear I have to hold in the power button and force a shutdown. Which I'm sure was the cause of my HDD failure after about 6 months of this fault appearing.

The work around is to extract the ATI graphics kext files from a 10.6.2 install and to patch them back in after every update. I've done this through all the 10.6, 107 and 10.8 updates as its the only way to stop the lockups. I'm still on 10.8.3 as I hate going through the motions of backing everything up ready to apply the patches just incase it doesn't work this time.

I did have a lot of problems during the switch over to 10.7 where I kept getting kernel panics as the drives would complain about 32 bit and 64 bit. So I only update when I really feel I have to.

The daft thing is I probably would have updated to a 27" i7 iMac by now but this does what I want and I really don't want to give Apple any more of my money until I really really have to now. The trust has gone.

MrMini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: IMac Reply with quote

My 24 inch IMac would freeze daily..and what I have read on the web lots of folks had that same problem, along with the superdrive going out or only read certain disks..glad I sold mine. Since then I have bought a used Mac Mini and yet to have any problems with it....
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Its a 20" iMac 2007 aluminium model. It works great most of the time but since 10.6.3 every update brings back a fault where I get random graphics freezes. It can happen straight at boot up or after 5 hours. Its completely random. To clear I have to hold in the power button and force a shutdown. Which I'm sure was the cause of my HDD failure after about 6 months of this fault appearing.

The work around is to extract the ATI graphics kext files from a 10.6.2 install and to patch them back in after every update. I've done this through all the 10.6, 107 and 10.8 updates as its the only way to stop the lockups. I'm still on 10.8.3 as I hate going through the motions of backing everything up ready to apply the patches just incase it doesn't work this time.

I did have a lot of problems during the switch over to 10.7 where I kept getting kernel panics as the drives would complain about 32 bit and 64 bit. So I only update when I really feel I have to.

The daft thing is I probably would have updated to a 27" i7 iMac by now but this does what I want and I really don't want to give Apple any more of my money until I really really have to now. The trust has gone.

I'll see what my service department has to say about your issue. I recall you mentioning it before on the forum. Obviously you have done your homework and you know the root of the problem.

Strange though. 2007 iMacs are probably the most popular model we deal with on our trade in program. Most customers with these machines are running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or higher (as they still support Mountain Lion) without issue.

I'll see what my service department has to say.

Mr.Mini regarding iMacs freezing, that's a symptom, not a cause, it can be from any number of things, software included. I'm typing this on a 24" iMac that I have been using since 2009 without issue. I need more info.

CD/DVD drives are moving parts. Lots of them fail, it's the nature of the beast. This is part of the reason Apple is removing moving parts from computers including desktops.

I do see a lot of DVD drives that fail, but not in iMacs in particular. Is see it in MacBooks, MAcBook Pros, minis and iMacs. Same with hard drives. Lots of bad blocks and sectors to be found. Quite often people don't even know their hard drive has issues until we run diagnostic testing.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher did you see this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1444
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I'll give it a try but I'm sure I've tried it before and once you start the install it says unsupported system. If its the one I'm thinking of it was an update for 2011 models I think.

Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took it into the local shop. They called said the Power Supply was in fact toast, so they ordered and installed a new one. They called last night with the good and bad news. The system was running fine but they ran it though a diagnostic program and found the Hard Drive was having issues. So we're swapping it with a 1TB - glad I have back up's as it made it a no brainier.

Sort of half hoped it was the logic board and I'd be staring at a new Mac instead but I like saving money so we'll keep using this one for a while longer.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 24" iMac still has decent value at least $400. That's the minimum we take them in on trade for, so I'd fix it as well. You could probably sell it for $600 without a problem.

I'd personally put a small (256GB) affordable SSD in it.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back up and running again, I did a clean install so all elements of Lion and Snow are gone, not sure it makes any difference or not though. Time Machine backup has been good, few small items that weren't backed up but I salvaged them from the old HD. Decided to start putting some money aside for a new iMac though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: