123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starts "spinning the wheel" after an hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohano

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Starts "spinning the wheel" after an hour Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a mid 2011 Mac mini that starts "spinning the wheel" (replacing the mouse arrow) after about an hour of use. In short what happens is this:

- Everything works as usual but after one hour it starts “spinning” the mouse and it doesn’t react (I can move the mouse around but that’s it). It also stops reacting to remotes in eg. iTunes.

- When I force it to shut down and re-start the above repeats

It makes no difference I use it or it is just on with no programs running.

I have tried formatting the harddrive and re-install Mountain Lion but that doesn’t help. I have also tested the memory by using it with one 4 GB memory block at a time. But still no luck.

It is equipped with 8 GB memory from Crucial and a 256 GB SSD disk also from Crucial. I am planning to test another SSD disc because it failed during the re-install but my local dealer says that SSD disc’s either work or they don’t.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Or what I should test?

Thanks,
Mohano
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the console for any error messages ?

It might also be worth keeping an eye on Activity monitor and see if you can spot any issues with CPU usage, Memory usages etc.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
MrMini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMini wrote:

Resetting the SMC is a good idea, you may also want to try resetting the PRAM... It can't hurt...

Here's how- Rest PRAM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mohano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

It might also be worth keeping an eye on Activity monitor and see if you can spot any issues with CPU usage, Memory usages etc.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I will have the activity monitor running to see if can trace anything.

How do I check the console?

Thanks,
Mohano
mohano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
MrMini wrote:

Resetting the SMC is a good idea, you may also want to try resetting the PRAM... It can't hurt...

Here's how- Rest PRAM

Thanks guys!

Both PRAM and SMC are reset and I will keep my fingers crossed! The instructions for resetting the SMC seemed almost to simple but it's done.

Thanks,
Mohano
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check the console, by opening the Console application and reading the assorted logs.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
tom d

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that the two resets work for you. I also had a 2011 mini that I put a Crucial SSD in and had the exact same problem with the spinning beach ball. I tried and did update the firmware that was in the SSD and it helped a lot but still got beach ball about every 10 minutes for about 20 seconds.

I then changed the position of the SSD in the mini, same thing beach ball.
I then changed the connector for the hard drive, from a different supplier beach ball.
I then re installed the OS many times along the way, beach ball.
Sent for new memory and replaced what was in there with a different brand, beach ball.

Took the SSD out put in original hard drive ran fine, put the SSD in a dock, ran fine no beach ball.

Sold with original hard drive to a friend after telling him what happened with the SSD, running fine for 4 months, put the SSD in my MacBook Pro 2011 model, runs fine. Go figure!!

tom_d
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't got Time Machine on, and looking for a non-existant (or disconnected) disk or Time Capsule have you?
mohano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
You haven't got Time Machine on, and looking for a non-existant (or disconnected) disk or Time Capsule have you?

Nope - Time Machine is off.

But thanks for the suggestion.
mohano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohano wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
MrMini wrote:

Here's how- Rest PRAM

Thanks guys!

Both PRAM and SMC are reset and I will keep my fingers crossed! The instructions for resetting the SMC seemed almost to simple but it's done.

Thanks,
Mohano

Unfortunately this didn't do the trick Crying or Very sad
mohano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom d wrote:
I hope that the two resets work for you. I also had a 2011 mini that I put a Crucial SSD in and had the exact same problem with the spinning beach ball. I tried and did update the firmware that was in the SSD and it helped a lot but still got beach ball about every 10 minutes for about 20 seconds.

I then changed the position of the SSD in the mini, same thing beach ball.
I then changed the connector for the hard drive, from a different supplier beach ball.
I then re installed the OS many times along the way, beach ball.
Sent for new memory and replaced what was in there with a different brand, beach ball.

Took the SSD out put in original hard drive ran fine, put the SSD in a dock, ran fine no beach ball.

Sold with original hard drive to a friend after telling him what happened with the SSD, running fine for 4 months, put the SSD in my MacBook Pro 2011 model, runs fine. Go figure!!

tom_d

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have borrowed a new SSD disk at work and will try to use it in the mini to see if it solves the problem.
mohano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
You can check the console, by opening the Console application and reading the assorted logs.

SC

Thanks!

Looking at the logs didn't help much. I left the mini on during the day and as far as I can see from the log nothing has happened between the time I left for work until I came home and had to force the mini to shut down.

It may be that someone else can make more sense out of the log that I can.
mohano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohano wrote:
Cypher wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions!

I will have the activity monitor running to see if can trace anything.

How do I check the console?

Thanks,
Mohano

I now had an eye on Activity monitor and for the most part only small things happended. The number of threads went from 301 to 417 and the number of processes from 71 to 74.

But about 10 minutes before it started spinning I noticed that some prosesses started to have a lot more activity and using more memory. I did not use the Mac at all it was just standing there with the Activity monitor running and no other programs.

The processes that I noticed was:

- SystemUIServer
- com.apple.dock.extra
- CalenderAgent
- UserEventAgent
- NotificationCenter

Is this giving anyone any ideas to what might be wrong?

Thanks!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some additional surfing I found this related thread that may help.

I also know that some SSD's are just finicky. Have you updated the firmware in the SSD itself?

You mentioned that the original install failed, that tells me there may be some sort of issue or compatibility issue with that particular SSD. Can you put a regular drive in it or even boot from an external drive to see if that eliminates the problem?

I also know that after you do an OS install on an SSD that it "locks" sectors and re-installing won't change them. The only way to 're-format' a SSD is by booting from another disk (external/optical/etc) and using the SSD manufacturers software to re-initialize the disk.

Keep us posted...

EDIT: Here's another similar issue, the fix was to update the firmware on the SSD. I think that may be your problem. I know with Ubuntu you have to go into the bios and make sure your SATA settings are set to "AHCI" instead of "Compatibility" if not, you get the same kind of problem.... AHCI is set upon initial installation with OSX so you can only modify it with the Terminal, if need be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: