123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From N00b to Veteran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: From N00b to Veteran Reply with quote

Wow. I was just going through the photo gallery here and realized that I have the 2nd photo in the "Screen shots" album! That was from 2006! Take a look at it, for the other Mac veterans here, you may recognize some of that ancient software!

http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=170

EDIT: Believe it or not, I still have this iMac!

http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ripped many of movies with MTR back in the day. I also remember that old EyeTV icon. I can't think of what that Umbrella icon is though? Give me a hint! Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I can't think of what that Umbrella icon is though? Give me a hint! Laughing

Apple Backup, still a very useful application.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/9925/apple-mobileme-backup
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I totally forgot about that one JB. Embarassed

I guess there are a lot of things we'd all like to forget about MobileMe and .Mac though. Laughing

I missed the iWeb icon on there before. I guess that's another one that's been put out to pasture. I always thought that iWeb had a lot of potential though.
iLife's a Bitch!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Wow, I totally forgot about that one JB. Embarassed

I guess there are a lot of things we'd all like to forget about MobileMe and .Mac though. Laughing

I missed the iWeb icon on there before. I guess that's another one that's been put out to pasture. I always thought that iWeb had a lot of potential though.

Erm... did you miss the "Real Player" icon! LOL! I fairly certain that format is DEAD. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Erm... did you miss the "Real Player" icon! LOL! I fairly certain that format is DEAD. Rolling Eyes

The RealMedia formats are long dead, but that turd of a player is still floating. Heck, they even sell a Pro version of it for $50. Which leads me to my next question. Who the heck would ever spend $50 on RealPlayer? Shocked
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apps come and go, but the missing Gary puppet skit is timeless. And this is coming from a huge fan of the Jackie puppet. Laughing
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Apps come and go, but the missing Gary puppet skit is timeless. And this is coming from a huge fan of the Jackie puppet. Laughing

Figures, Devo is the one that actually reads the torrents that were in Transmission (an app I still use)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I ripped many of movies with MTR back in the day.

I haven't had the MTR icon on my dock for years. It was one of my favourite icons. I haven't put a DVD or CD in a computer in years.

One thing that's interesting about looking at that icon set is...
I had very similar set of icons back in the day including the third party software. Now short of M$ Office (which I don't use), I don't have any of that third party software any longer on my dock. Just the Apple stuff. Either I completed those tasks or the internet and Apple programs offer me the same things.

ie. Who need to download torrents (which of course people still do) when you can watch anything that aired on TV the night before on YouTube the next day. Who needs to download a song when there are 10,000 ways to listen to the song real time. Who needs to import their DVD collection when everyone has Netflix. Who needs skype when just about everyone I know has Facetime.

You get where I coming from.`
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better call Christina! Laughing

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
ie. Who need to download torrents (which of course people still do) when you can watch anything that aired on TV the night before on YouTube the next day. Who needs to download a song when there are 10,000 ways to listen to the song real time. Who needs to import their DVD collection when everyone has Netflix. Who needs skype when just about everyone I know has Facetime.

You get where I coming from.`

I still have a lot of my all-time favorite movies available in Plex, but you are totally right. I don't hardly rip or transcode any movies these days either. Netflix, HBOGo and Amazon totally have me covered with streaming. The video quality is much better these days too, so why even bother. My computer and iPad have been basically relegated to fancy remotes now. They are used for searching the sites and controlling playback. And what about music? It's more than covered by Pandora and Spotify.

I'll tell you something else. Apple better watch their tails with the Chromecast from Google. I finally bought one and love it. If it gets more default apps, look out Apple TV. You just might find yourself on Craigslist.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB/curt - I agree. I haven't had a need to rip/record/download any media for years. I still have several terabytes of movies, etc that we still stream with our Apple TV's but, I haven't added any to it in a LONG time. We mostly watch Netflix or Amazon Video's (I prefer Amazon, the selection seems a bit better and the quality is too)
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
We mostly watch Netflix or Amazon Video's (I prefer Amazon, the selection seems a bit better and the quality is too)

I hear that more and more. I really need to look into Amazon Prime again. My wife had a trial with her Kindle Fire, but we were moving at the time.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
We mostly watch Netflix or Amazon Video's (I prefer Amazon, the selection seems a bit better and the quality is too)

I hear that more and more. I really need to look into Amazon Prime again. My wife had a trial with her Kindle Fire, but we were moving at the time.

I'm a HUGE Amazon Prime nut! I save at least 4 times what it costs each year just in shipping costs (my wife and I both order a LOT from there) plus, the as a Prime Member we get special selections of free videos! So we end up watching a lot from Amazon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: