123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The future of forums like this
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has social media affected your forum posting?
yes, without a doubt
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but, not much
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I don't think so
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
No. I hate social media
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 18

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
zedtvl wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
zedtvl wrote:
Social medias and forums like this one are two different things...

Agreed and well aware. The question is: Has social media had an impact on forums like this? I think it has. If not for the simple fact that many people are spending more time on social media then they are connecting with "like-minded' people with similar interests. I'm a prime example.....

For my personal experience, no
First of the forums and specially this one are not intrusive, there is no big "ego show up" to impress any member, our political or view about religion are set aside so we can talk about what this forum is for and help each other.
If I had the choice between certain forums, this one included, and social media, I would ditch the social media in less than a second.

I have to agree with zedtvl on both counts.

Social media is convenient for what it is, which is keeping in touch with friends, family, and all that stuff. It's also great if you like ads being shoved down your throat. Technically, I have four G+ accounts, since every Gmail account gets a G+ account. Does that mean I use them? Nope. I sorta gave up facebook for a month. It was quite rewarding, and when I went back, I saw all the stupid changes that were done. When they start pushing video ads, I think I'll be happy to say that I'll be done with facebook.

My mother is fairly computer competent, no matter how much she claims otherwise, and she won't touch facebook with a ten foot pole. As far as she is concerned, if a business is only contactable via facebook, she won't do business with them.

I did link a few of my family at facebook with their relation matrix deal, but then I didn't link any others because I don't need facebook to know who my father is, who my cousins are, who my girlfriend is.

The benefit to facebook is that I can stay somewhat in contact with my friends and family, and a few of my interests at one site, rather than a bunch of different sites.

SC

zedtvl/SC - I havenít disagreed with either of you. I think you're missing my point. Which is:

forums in general have seen a decline in participation/memberships, I surmise this is due to social media. I understand that forums aren't going anywhere and that they are different then any social media sites. I also understand the benefits of each. (forums and social media).

I only posed this question because I realized that for the last few years I haven't been on here (or any other forums I'm a member of) mostly because I'm on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr and a few others (FourSquare comes to mind). With all of these other "outlets" I find less and less time to be an ACTIVE member of a forum.

I still use forums, I start with a Google search, land on a forum, get the info I need and leave. Never even considering joining as a member. That wasn't the case pre-social media.

Let me be clear: I know I'm not everyone but, with the numbers of new social media sites popping up (doesn't seem so with forums) and the growth of that segment of the internet (what forum is traded publicly on the stock market? Facebook is!) it's kind of like the elephant in the room, so to speak. Social media sucks up MOST people's time more than anything. (notice I didn't say EVERYONE's time, I know there are some that don't use social media and prefer other mediums.)

Just my thoughts....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends on what you want from a community. This community doesn't have your friends that you've known most of your life, and it doesn't have your family. It just has a bunch of ghosts in a machine spread out across the internet.

Does anyone hear need to see my review of the last movie I went to see? I don't think so, but trying to be a good member, I post in the movie thread to drive the community here.

Did I post the same thing at facebook? Yes, because I dare to think that the people that are at least reading what I write, are doing so because they want to.

Could there be other reasons to not be posting? Sure! It's summer time, and it's been a pretty awesome summer in Seattle, and I would venture to guess the rest of the US. Who (other than a homebody like me) wants to sit around an post stuff on a forum?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I recently (like a week ago) deactivated our Facebook accounts. We just decided that we didn't want to extend ourselves out like that anymore. Plus, we're not sure we necessarily trust FB with our personal information. And the ads on there are everywhere now. It's hard even telling what's an ad and what one of your friends might really like. Then there's all those giveaways and stuff for liking something. It's just a bunch of crap. So, we decided to move on. We now will rely on SMS and email for communicating with friends.

I do think think Twitter is a great way sharing and getting news though. Even though I never post stuff on there myself.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think forums are better for getting help and meeting new people. They also allow for longer posts. Facebook, Twitter and Google + are sort of just better for getting out a short opinion on something. They can also be better for sharing pictures. At least that's the way I look at them. I certainly know they haven't changed my participation habits in various forums.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: members Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I think it really depends on what you want from a community. This community doesn't have your friends that you've known most of your life, and it doesn't have your family. It just has a bunch of ghosts in a machine spread out across the internet.

Does anyone hear need to see my review of the last movie I went to see? I don't think so, but trying to be a good member, I post in the movie thread to drive the community here.

Did I post the same thing at facebook? Yes, because I dare to think that the people that are at least reading what I write, are doing so because they want to.

Could there be other reasons to not be posting? Sure! It's summer time, and it's been a pretty awesome summer in Seattle, and I would venture to guess the rest of the US. Who (other than a homebody like me) wants to sit around an post stuff on a forum?

SC
It also helps people who need help technically and also sometimes socially especially if you are thousands of miles away.FB is just a waste of time and I hate it immensely.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys and gals I'm completely confused now.... Confused

If no one is on or uses social media, how is it that when I visit this forum each day now and click "see new posts" many times it returns no results? That means no one is posting.

Back in the day, it would return a whole page of new posts.

If you all are still devout forum users (<-- sarcasm), how can this be?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
The wife and I recently (like a week ago) deactivated our Facebook accounts. We just decided that we didn't want to extend ourselves out like that anymore. Plus, we're not sure we necessarily trust FB with our personal information. And the ads on there are everywhere now. It's hard even telling what's an ad and what one of your friends might really like. Then there's all those giveaways and stuff for liking something. It's just a bunch of crap. So, we decided to move on. We now will rely on SMS and email for communicating with friends.

I do think think Twitter is a great way sharing and getting news though. Even though I never post stuff on there myself.

That's awesome. I kinda wish I could delete my Facebook but, I also have my company page there.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
That's awesome. I kinda wish I could delete my Facebook but, I also have my company page there.

To be clear, I don't think we totally deleted our accounts. We deactivated them, which allows you to come back later and still have everything setup. It does remove you from all your friends and stuff though. We just sent messages out to all of our real friends on there will all of our personal contact information before doing it. Most actually sent back messages stating they were thinking about doing the same thing.

I can understand why you need one for your business. It's like the thing to do. But does it actually bring anything real to your business? I mean, other than allowing people to find and contact you.

If you could delete or deactivate your account, what would be the reasons for doing so?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

To be clear, I don't think we totally deleted our accounts. We deactivated them, which allows you to come back later and still have everything setup. It does remove you from all your friends and stuff though. We just sent messages out to all of our real friends on there will all of our personal contact information before doing it. Most actually sent back messages stating they were thinking about doing the same thing.

I can understand why you need one for your business. It's like the thing to do. But does it actually bring anything real to your business? I mean, other than allowing people to find and contact you.

If you could delete or deactivate your account, what would be the reasons for doing so?

I do get a bit of business from my page and it helps with SEO, branding, etc...

I'd delete or deactivate my facebook page just to alleviate one more distraction. I don't put anything on there I wouldn't share publicly anyway so I don't care what they do with the pics, info, etc. Anyone who would put ANYTHING on ANY social media site or public forum that isn't to be shared PUBLICLY is an idiot in my opinion.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it takes a court order to delete a facebook account.

I have a friend who has a gajillion friends on facebook, many of them are attractive women. His girlfriend was jealous, so he deactivated his account. He didn't lose any of his friends, his account just wasn't active, and if you went to his page, it would give you the "There is no such account" stuff. He would on occasion activate his account at night and check things out, but not post, and then deactivate it. He has not been removed from my friends list.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I think it takes a court order to delete a facebook account.
Magic! Very Happy
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

Most of us oldtimers are here to answer people questions, so when nobody asks any questions which just sit here twiddling our thumbs and wait patiently for someone to roll through Laughing

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

Most of us oldtimers are here to answer people questions, so when nobody asks any questions which just sit here twiddling our thumbs and wait patiently for someone to roll through Laughing

EXACTLY. And why do you think your just sitting here twiddling your thumbs? Could it be that the masses are on other social media sites? If so, that was my whole point to this thread....
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: FB Reply with quote

devo wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

FB is up in your face to much.They are gathering information they we do not even know about.I do not trust them!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder, correlation is not the same as causation.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: