123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mavericks with 2009 Mac mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Mavericks with 2009 Mac mini? Reply with quote

Will Mavericks be able to run on a 2009 Mac mini? I'm looking at one on Craigslist to purchase.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumors I've heard would suggest 'yes'.
I'm hoping so cause I use a 2009 highly upgraded mini and am not looking forward to parting with it.
Carver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the reply. I was hopping for a more positive YES! Laughing

I'm not sure what to do now. Mountain Lion is fine, but I would like to have the ability to run Mavericks. I wonder when they will announce the final requirements?
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a good chance that you guys will be fine. Just look at the system requirements for the latest developer build.

One of the following Macs:
iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17- inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

I could be wrong, but I doubt that will change into the release candidate.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap am I out of it. I actually had to Google "Apple Mavericks" Embarassed

Anyway, I think you'll be fine too. Apple doesn't normally alienate hardware that's only a few years old plus, other than adding cores, there haven't been any amazingly forward advances in CPU's. The few I recall: When they went from PPC to Intel, then when they went from 32-bit to 64-bit - I can't think of any other changes that would inhibit the new OS from being backwards compatible.

BTW, I have an original iMac from 1998 (came with OS8) that is running OS X 10.4!

Just my thoughts....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

Yes you are Smile that's funny coming from a guy with such a strong tech background.

Sometimes is nice to take a break from it all though.

When I go on holidays for a week from my Apple reseller store. It takes me a day or two to get back on track. Things change that fast.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

Yes you are Smile that's funny coming from a guy with such a strong tech background.

Sometimes is nice to take a break from it all though.

When I go on holidays for a week from my Apple reseller store. It takes me a day or two to get back on track. Things change that fast.

BB if you consider 3 years a "break" then guilty as charged! Very Happy

I'm getting back to it though... I never actually stopped repairing Macs, iPhones, etc. just have been more selective with what I do...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to Mavericks. Even though it's not really a major leap forward. I'm especially looking forward to seeing what the new power management stuff brings to the table for MacBooks when it comes to battery life.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I'm looking forward to Mavericks. Even though it's not really a major leap forward. I'm especially looking forward to seeing what the new power management stuff brings to the table for MacBooks when it comes to battery life.

I personally think it's a huge leap forward.
-auto nap
-compressed memory
-iCloud Keychain (goodbye 1password)
-multiple display support (no primary or secondary display, all with individual menu bars and docks)
-Finder tabs and tags (great for those of us who deal with numerous files like I do at work)

I usually don't get too excited about updates because it makes my job at my Apple reseller store more difficult, but I'm looking forward to the updates Mavericks brings.

To me these are some of the biggest updates since OS X has been released. These new features result in real world benefits that effect 99% of all users instead of features that only impact 1%. Compressed memory and auto nap will benefit everyone.

With Haswell processors and Mavericks Apple is going to seriously leave PC laptops in the dust.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance - what's "auto nap"?

(Googling suggests "not a problem"!)
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Excuse my ignorance - what's "auto nap"?

(Googling suggests "not a problem"!)

I believe Apple calls it 'App Nap',
-----------------
App Nap
App Nap puts applications that you’re not using into a special low-power state that regulates their CPU usage as well as network and disk I/O. App Nap can be automati- cally triggered if an app’s windows are not visible and the app is not playing audio, though developers can explicitly make an app ineligible for App Nap by using the existing IOKit IOPMAssertion API (used today in OS X to prevent the system from sleeping while an app is busy). App Nap triggers a number of power-saving measures, including:
• Timer throttling—Reduces the frequency with which an app’s timers are fired. This can mean significant improvements in CPU idle time when running applications that frequently check for data.
• I/O throttling—Assigns the lowest priority to disk or network activity associated with a napping app. The rate at which an application can read or write data from a device is significantly reduced. In addition, I/O throttling reduces the chances that a background process will interfere with the I/O activity of an app that you are actively using.
• Priority reduction—Reduces the UNIX process priority of an app so that it receives a smaller share of available processor time.
---------------------
http://images.apple.com/osx/preview/docs/OSX_Mavericks_Core_Technology_Overview.pdf
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, jb.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

App Nap should be nice a nice feature, but it could also end up being like Power Nap where it only works on select Macs. Macs that comes standard with PCIe SSD to be exact. Am I wrong on that one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: