123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data Doubler Difficulty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy_Oliver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Data Doubler Difficulty? Reply with quote

Hey all. Just got a 2012 i5 mini to get back into the world of OS X after a 4 year long Windows stint. I love the thing, but I can't help but feel that the system is being bottlenecked by the 5400RPM hard drive.

I have a Samsung 830 SSD chillin in my old PC, and wouldn't mind throwing it in the mini using the OWC upgrade kit, but I'm worried about killing my mini attempting the upgrade. How complex is the process really? I've built a lot of systems from scratch before, but this is obviously more than a little different.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the data doubler, there is a video on the OWC site which details the installation. See if it looks overwhelming. If you just want to swap the 5400 for the SSD, it isn't too terribly difficult.

Brendan
jguther

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the upgrade. It is not super difficult, but the connectors are tiny and quite fragile. If you damage something, it means that the motherboard will have to be replaced.

I would not recommend the upgrade to the average user. If you have good eyesight and feel comfortable working with tiny tiny tiny connectors and screws, go for it. Make sure you watch the video before you begin.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the kit and video, if you decide you don't want to do it, let me know, my company does all types of Mac upgrades.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that hard of an upgrade. You just have to be careful with the connectors like jguther stated. You definitely want to use the little nylon pry tool that comes with the kit. You can be a a lot more precise with it. It also gets into places easier than your fingers.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
tom d

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the 2012 mini has USB 3 and if you were to put the SSD in a a usb 3 case or dock you will get most, if not all the speed and not have to take the mini apart. Nothing broke, no warranty problem.

tom_d
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom d wrote:
Actually, the 2012 mini has USB 3 and if you were to put the SSD in a a usb 3 case or dock you will get most, if not all the speed and not have to take the mini apart. Nothing broke, no warranty problem.

tom_d

I think it's still a worthy upgrade, but you're right. You can also go the Thunderbolt route for even faster throughput.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: